430W Software update

dmaib

430W Software update

Post by dmaib »

I updated my 430W software to 5.1 today to bring my ADS-B up to speed as discussed in the recent VAF ADS-B thread. After the software update, my Hxr no longer "sees" the 430W. All of the setting in the 430W are the same as before with the exception of the output to the GTX-330ES is set to "ADS-B OUT +" instead of "ADS-B OUT". The 430 W seems to be working perfectly. The Hxr has a red "GPS LOST" flag in the upper LH portion of the PFD where the nav source is displayed and I have a yellow "serial 7" flag across the top. Anybody know what changes I need to make in the Hxr so that it can see the 430W?
David Maib
RV-10 N380DM
jclark

Re: 430W Software update

Post by jclark »

Excuse me if this is sounds overly obvious to you but ...

Any chance the update changed the default baud rate on the 430?

If you look at Serial 7 IN on the HXr do you have a byte count?

Just thinking out loud.

James
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Assuming serial 7 is attached to a specific port on the 430, double check that port's setting. If the settings look okay, pull the 430 out, Look at the pins, especially the one going to serial 7, then reinsert and re-seat. I assume you had to pull the unit for the software?

Off topic, but what are dealers charging for the upgrade?
dmaib

Post by dmaib »

James, no baud count on serial 7. What should the baud rate be? I can check and see what it is.

Bob, I am going to check pins today. I did have to remove the unit to have the update. Pahan Ranasingha, the owner of Avionics Installations Inc. at Spruce Creek Fly-In did not charge me for the updates. I asked him how much I owed him and he said, "Aw, don't worry about it". I could not get him to take any money. Of course, he now has my future business! :)

I just got word back from Jim at the FAA office and he said my report is still Red with NIC and NAC. :( GTX-330ES with latest software and setting changed to ie7. Are there some other settings in the 330 that need to be changed? I sure wish there was a one stop source for all of this information.
David Maib
RV-10 N380DM
Jkoonce128

Post by Jkoonce128 »

No help on the main question, but the local Garmin shop told me it would be $84 for the upgrade from version 2 or so up to the latest version 5 and 5.1 I believe. Had it done today and haven't seen the bill yet.

Regards,
John Koonce
RV10
N78MU