USB Questions

akskyhawk

USB Questions

Post by akskyhawk »

I have a HXr & HX
1] Does the bluetooth dongle need to plug into both Units?
2] They sent a USB hub extender with my system but does not have the power cord. Reverence in Skyradar documentation refers to using powered USB hubs.
"These USB hubs are currently in use by GRT customers with SkyRadar receivers:
Ÿ StarTech 4-port USB Hub, p/n ST4200USBM, available from Amazon.com. 7-24V DC
Ÿ Netix P5USB, p/n CNX-P5USB, 7-32V DC"

So does the USB hub sent with the HX need to be powered?
3] Does Seattle Avionics mapping require a USB thumb drive to be pluged in at all times for there system to work?

USB port connections needed!
1] USB port extension for access. DU1 & DU2
2] Bluetooth dongle DU1 & DU2
3] Thumb drive for recording flight data DU1 or DU2
4] SkyRadar ADSB DU1
5] Thumb drive for Seattle Avionics mapping DU1

Thanks in advance and essecially thanks to Bob for the very timely responses!
deej

Re: USB Questions

Post by deej »

akskyhawk wrote: Ÿ StarTech 4-port USB Hub, p/n ST4200USBM, available from Amazon.com. 7-24V DC

So does the USB hub sent with the HX need to be powered?
I have the Startech unit, and it does need to be powered. It does not come with a power cable. You just use regular wire, and hook to the green block that you can see on the front of the unit. There are tiny screws that turn down to tighten on the wires that you insert into the front of the green block.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Moun ... ST4200USBM

-Dj
jclark

Post by jclark »

If you use a HUB, it will apply to ONLY the unit to which it is connected.

DEVICES that consume power and extra ports are the reasons for the HUBS.

One 16 or 32GB memory stick can hold ALL of the data you will have and record everything you need.

The extension can be plugged into the hub.

james
akskyhawk

Post by akskyhawk »

DJ
I know that the Startech unit requires power I have one and yes it has terminals for the power supply. I want to know why GRT is sending USB hubs that does not include the special power supply plug in, it does not have wire terminals!

James
Somewhere I read for Seattle Avionics to work, the thumb drive has to be in at all times to work and it can't have any other data on it!

I still don't know if both DU's need to have the blue tooth dongle!
jclark

Post by jclark »

akskyhawk wrote:DJ
I know that the Startech unit requires power I have one and yes it has terminals for the power supply. I want to know why GRT is sending USB hubs that does not include the special power supply plug in, it does not have wire terminals!

James
Somewhere I read for Seattle Avionics to work, the thumb drive has to be in at all times to work and it can't have any other data on it!

I still don't know if both DU's need to have the blue tooth dongle!
I am not sure if I understand your first comment. The hubs require a wire from your ground bus/block and a wire from your power (12V) fuseblock/bus/VPX. So there is not special power supply "plug".
<I may not be understanding what you are saying.>

The Seattle Avionics memory stick has to be in. It has a "special folder" but other data can be on the memory stick. One memory (of adequate capacity) is all you need PER DISPLAY.

Think of each display as independent of all others and each needing its own memory sticks and bluetooth dongles. A GPS can be connected to one and that data shared but not everything is shared across the Display Links.

Do this help???

James
akskyhawk

Post by akskyhawk »

James
Sorry, Yes & No on the help!
The question was why GRT is sending a USB hub without the power cord! The hub they send needs a special plug-in power cord. There is no terminals to supply 12volts to it!

So on the Bluetooth dongle and thumb drive, would these require a USB hub that has power to it.
deej

Post by deej »

akskyhawk wrote: The question was why GRT is sending a USB hub without the power cord! The hub they send needs a special plug-in power cord. There is no terminals to supply 12volts to it!
I did not understand your question either, which is why I hadn't responded back. Which USB hub did GRT send you? I thought you were asking about the Startech hub, which does not need a special power cable. The Startech hub just uses plain wire, no plug at all. Are they sending something different? What is the make and model?

akskyhawk wrote:So on the Bluetooth dongle and thumb drive, would these require a USB hub that has power to it.
No, neither of those require a powered USB hub. You can simply plug those directly into the USB port on the back of the EFIS if you like, or just use an extender cable to bring the USB port out to where you can get to it more easily.

-Dj
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

You can connect the Bluetooth dongle to one display and the display will send the changes over the link. If you have an audio panel or remote COM, connect the Bluetooth dongle to the HXr so you get full control from the app.