HX Radar

hotwheels

HX Radar

Post by hotwheels »

Hi... I have a three screen HX setup in my RV-10. No XM weather, but I have Navworx ADS-B In/Out. Is there anything I need to do in order to see ADS-B weather? Is the HX Radar feature enabled only if XM is present?

Thanks,
Jay
N433RV - phase 1
jclark

Re: HX Radar

Post by jclark »

If all the connections are working (do you see a byte count on the serial port to which the NavWorx is connected??) then you should not need to do much more.
Make sure the input device type is set properly (Navworx)

On MAP page go to "SHOW" and select RADAR or NONE. With RADAR you should see NEXRAD stuff if there is any. If there is none around, set it NONE (which is actually a "show METARS") and you should get green dots over the major airports that are VFR.

Set an airport as a destination. Go flying (get high enough to pick up a ground station 0-1500 feet probably) and then on MAP page press right knob and select WPT DETAILS. If you get the METAR for that airport, things are probably working fine.

And oh, I think that if you see the word "TRAFFIC" in green letters on the lower right corner of the MAP page, you have a connection. At least that is the case with the USB units that I have tested. And I think the one serial unit I tested (iLevil, not NavWorx).

Feel free to call for more details.
James
hotwheels

Post by hotwheels »

Thanks! I have working Navworx serial port and "Traffic" icon displayed. I just wasn't sure what to do from there. The addition info you supplied should really help. I did find METARs under the MAP->NEAREST->METARs screen, but I'd sure rather see color coded info displayed on the MAP screen.

Regards,
Jay
330drvr

Post by 330drvr »

To see the color coding, turn "OFF" the radar on the HX. Then any airports with wx will show up with color coding.

Additionally, when you see a Metar, scroll down and you should find the TAF as well.
RV-7A
Dual HX, Mini X, dual adaptive AHRS, GRT EIS
jclark

Post by jclark »

hotwheels wrote:Thanks! I have working Navworx serial port and "Traffic" icon displayed. I just wasn't sure what to do from there. The addition info you supplied should really help. I did find METARs under the MAP->NEAREST->METARs screen, but I'd sure rather see color coded info displayed on the MAP screen.

Regards,
Jay
The way you turn this on is not via the "NEAREST" but via the "DISPLAY" (or is it "SHOW") and select "NONE" (the last choice).

I have mentioned in the past that I think a better name than "NONE" would be "METAR". There may be a historic reason for the label "NONE". Hopefully that will get changed.

James
hotwheels

Post by hotwheels »

From a human factors standpoint I'll admit that the "NONE" selection option meant "don't show anything" to me. My inclination was therefore to totally ignore it as non-interesting setting. However, it now seems like that was totally what I wanted as far as seeing visual indication of METARs info on the MAP screen.

Thanks,
Jay
jclark

Post by jclark »

Naveed123 wrote:feature enabled only if XM is present? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ahhhh ...
Not sure which feature you are referencing BUT ...

You will be able to see NEXRAD Radar **without** XM (via ADS-B). Using several different receivers.
(I did the initial ADS-B testing about a year ago)

What you do not get, at least not so far, is "LOOPING" if all you have is ADS-B.

James