GNS430 flight plan not displayed on cross side Hx

jnewsum1

GNS430 flight plan not displayed on cross side Hx

Post by jnewsum1 »

I have two Hx displays and two GPS receivers. GPS 1 is a Garmin GNS 430W and GPS 2 is the ADAHRS internal GPS. GPS 1 is connected to the pilot side Hx and GPS 2 is connected to the passenger side Hx. GPS 1 is configured as ‘external’ flight plan and GPS 2 is configured as ‘internal’ flight plan. When GPS 2 is selected the flight plan is displayed on either Hx display when the MAP format is selected for display. When GPS 1 is selected, the graphical flight plan is only displayed on the pilot side Hx. The pass side Hx displays ‘GPS 1 CRS’ in yellow and the flight plan is not displayed.

It seems like a configuration issue but I have carefully checked all the settings in General setup multiple times and can’t find any configuration setting that might be causing the problem.

As a caveat, I have on occasion seen the GPS 1 flight plan displayed on the passenger side and have seen the sequential waypoints in the GPS 1 flight plan listed on the pass side Hx when selecting the flight plan for review on the map display even though the flight plan track is not being graphically displayed.

I halfway think this might be a Ethernet bus data transfer problem between the displays but they both indicate communication is OK on power up and data transfer from the passenger side Hx to the pilot side Hx is working properly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bobturner

Re: GNS430 flight plan not displayed on cross side Hx

Post by Bobturner »

I don’t know the answer to your question. But I wonder why you didn’t follow grt’s wiring recommendation, and run the data lines to both Hx units? As it is, if #1 Hx dies completely, you also lose the 430 data on #2. Just splice additional wires to the RS232 line and the ARINC lines out of the 430, and run them to the #2 Hx.
jnewsum1

Post by jnewsum1 »

Hi Bob. If I had started out with the HX displays originally, I probably would have followed the GRT recommendation, but I upgraded to the HX units from Sport HS displays which were serial port limited (only 4) and one port on the MFD was dedicated to the internal GPS. But I don’t recall having this issue with my Sport displays. The Sport didn’t have the Ethernet Inter display link either but used one of the RS 232 serial ports as display unit interlink.

Hardwiring the GNS 430 to both sides would be the best solution but working behind the ins. panel is such a struggle I’d just as soon avoid it.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Pull the Hx units out of the panel, then work thru the holes on the wiring/connectors, while sitting upright.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I would review all of the GPS inputs and GPS display link settings on both displays. The system can only support 2 GPS inputs on each display, and can't share more than 2. If you have more than 2 GPS inputs connected one of the displays may be showing some other GPS that doesn't have a flight plan.

HX displays have to be told to share their GPS data (send their own input to the link). Look for "Send GPS Data" in the SET MENU, General Setup, Inter-Display Link settings. Turning this on sends the GPS position and flight plan data over the link when the GPS is selected.

Make sure the GPS1/GPS2 Flight Plan Source settings are correct on all displays in SET MENU, General Setup. Also make sure Virtual GPS2 is Off.

If you added an ADS-B input, make sure "GPS from ADS-B Receiver" is set to "No / Not independent". This would count as an additional GPS input, which isn't possible when you already have 2.
jnewsum1

Post by jnewsum1 »

Jeff,
Your last suggestion comment is where I think my problem is. The “GPS from ADS-B Reciever” configuration option is worded very confusing, at least for me. The clarification note info that is displayed at the bottom of the screen for this option reads,

“If the ADS-B receiver has it’s on, independent GPS, use this setting to assign the GPS as GPS1 or GPS2. If the ADS-B Receiver gets GPS data from the EFIS, you must set this to No.”

The confusing part is my installation doesn’t conform to any of the three possible settings options described in the clarification note. I currently have the “GPS from ADS-B Receiver” option set to GPS1 which is probably causing the pass side Hx to think their Is no flight plan associated with GPS1 or there are two GPS1 inputs and ignore the one wired to pilot side Hx. Setting it to GPS2 causes weird screen blinking and flashing so I know that’s a bad selection.

My ADS-B (FreeFlight Ranger xcvr) is connected to the pass side Hx has an independent internal GPS receiver, so it doesn’t receive GPS data from the EFIS. The FF Ranger GPS format is not useable by the GRT EFIS so that’s not an option. So, I have a GPS1 (GNS430 wired to pilot side Hx and a GPS2 (ADAHRS internal) wired to pass side Hx. Interestingly, when on the ground stationary in front of my hanger I get the cross side GPS1 flight plan displayed on the pass side Hx. I think ADS-B is operating in a standby mode when the aircraft is stationary and is out of the picture which is another reason I think your observation is on to something.

I am going to change the “GPS from ADS-B Receiver” option setting to “No” and see if that resolves my issue. The other thing I am considering is turning off the ADS-B serial port input so the third GPS is not seen by either Hx. Will report what the results are after flying again.
jnewsum1

Post by jnewsum1 »

What I learned from trying different configuration settings during a flight today:

Jeff’s recommendation to set the “GPS from ADS-B Receiver” configuration setting to ‘NO’ fixed my issue. The GPS1 external flight plan would display on the cross side (passenger side) display after doing this.

Disabling the Freeflight Ranger xcvr ADS-B input (and by default its internal GPS data that is received with the ADS-B data) by setting the serial port that is wired to the ADS-B receiver to ‘off’ also eliminated the problem I was having but this isn’t a fix just a data point

The most interesting discovery to me was that by setting the serial port to ‘off’ for my normal GPS2 (the ADAHRS internal GPS) that is wired to the passenger side Hx and setting the “GPS from ADS-B Receiver” option to GPS2 allowed the FreeFlight Ranger ADS-B xcvr’s internal GPS to function as GPS2 for flight plan display and navigation. Way to go GRT avionics. GRT should make it more obvious that this feature is available. Maybe some description words in a User or Setup manual that the EFIS can do this.

My suggestion for the “GPS from ADS-B Receiver” configuration setting description would be:
If the ADS-B Receiver has an internal GPS, it can be used by the EFIS as GPS1 or GPS2. If the EFIS sends GPS data to the ADS-B receiver, or if EFIS serial ports have been configured as GPS1 & GPS2 inputs from other GPS sources, set this to ‘NO’. The EFIS can only have two GPS inputs.

Anyway my mystery issue is resolved. Now I just need to decide which GPS (ADAHRS internal or FF Ranger internal) to use as the permanent GPS2.