Looking for Instrument Instructor Who Knows Horizon HX EFIS

bobair

Looking for Instrument Instructor Who Knows Horizon HX EFIS

Post by bobair »

Hi,

Does anyone know of any instrument instructor in the Central Texas area (Austin/Georgetown) who is familiar with the GRT Horizon HX EFIS?

I need to knock the rust off my instrument skills and get an IPC but I'd like to do it with an instructor who knows the Horizon HX EFIS. The other major boxes in my panel are a 430W and a TruTrack DigiFlight II VSVG autopilot.

Thanks,

Bob

GlaStar N248BF
560 Hours
Bobturner

Re: Looking for Instrument Instructor Who Knows Horizon HX E

Post by Bobturner »

Well, I'm a cfii and have an HX; but I'm in CA! Assuming you don't find someone meeting your request, may I suggest:

Break it up into 2 parts. Sit in the airplane on the ground (have a battery charger) and learn the button pushing, knob turning business for the HX, 430W, and the TT. Don't kid yourself, this takes many hours of time (if starting from scratch). In the air is no place to learn this. If you need help, it can be anyone, doesn't have to be a cfii. Then when you've got that down, find a cfii who will fly with you. Set the HX to split screen, PFD/HSI. Set the 430 map to track up. That should look pretty familiar to any cfii. The only button pushing you'll have to do on the HX is to select the nav source (common error is to forget), and to control the autopilot (you should be able to do this both from the HX, and stand-alone on the TT).

Bob
JimB

Post by JimB »

Bob's advice is very good. I find that I leave my PFD set as usual and display the HSI on the MFD. That way the PFD display is as I normally see it. When I tried the split screen, I had to look to find stuff and the display gets pretty cluttered. Now I have my MFD Map page with just two screens available, HSI and forward arc both without engine data at the bottom. That way I can toggle from the HSI to the Map and back quickly. With the display on the 430 I find I don't even do that. I just leave the HSI on the MFD, the normal PFD and use the Map on the 430.

If you are not up to speed on the 430, there is an excellent video by Garmin. I spent several hours viewing the video and using the Garmin simulator to follow along. Then I just used the simulator to try some approaches locally and finally flew those approaches. I still use the video a couple of times a year, especially at the beginning of the flying season. The video is for the 430 not the 430W but all the information applies to the 430W too. Here's the link:

http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/i ... s-430-530/

Jim Butcher
Europa XS
Bavafa

Post by Bavafa »

There is a simulator for Garmin 430 that is very useful and for me, learning that [intuitively] was much harder than the HX. Luckily, there is little to do on the HX, especially if you have dual screen. These system coupled to a TT auto pilot make IFR flying as easy as pushing a few buttons and just monitoring it, NOT that I would recommend that for the IFR training .

I typically put one screen on HSI and engine info and the second screen on PFD with the needle displayed as oppose to flight director. I hardly ever use the HSI unless I am on a VOR which requires to set the course manually. Otherwise all is automatic, including course setting for ILS.

Mehrdad