ADS-B Traffic from Sky Radar

Bavafa

Re: ADS-B Traffic from Sky Radar

Post by Bavafa »

DJ,
I have ADS-B out via Garmin 330 ES. One other info, which might add to the puzzle, I saw my own shadow all the time prior to Wingx adding the functioanlity of filtering myself. I think a swap of units should prove what is the issue but since at least two people with the similar setup (you and Bob) are not having issues, then it points to either a configuration issue or faulty ADSB receiver.

Thank
Mehrdad
deej

Post by deej »

Bavafa wrote:it points to either a configuration issue or faulty ADSB receiver.
I agree. Not really much to configure in WingX though, so my thoughts are leading towards the SkyRadar unit.

-Dj
Bavafa

Post by Bavafa »

Just out of curiosity, what kind of antenna are you guys using if not the one that is provided by Sky Radar? I have installed two separate blade antenna in the wing root area. One is 978 MHZ and the other one 1090MHZ and with these I can pick up ground stations even on the ground.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Mehrdad,
This weekend I will most likely not be at the airport. I am available at 4 tomorrow (Wed), or on Friday at noon or 4.

I used the original antennas that came with the SkyRadar box; bought some coax with SMA connectors off Amazon; remote mounted the box; glued the antennas on the front fiberglass door pillars (I have an RV-10), one each side. I get lots of stations in the air. On the ground I can sometimes get one if I taxi to the right place (KLVK is in a valley, so no real line of sight to any ground stations).

Bob
deej

Post by deej »

I am using the two antennas that came with the SkyRadar unit. My Glastar is fiberglass back in the tail section, and I have the SkyRadar mounted back in the tail a couple of feet behind the baggage bulkhead. The antennas are attached directly to the unit itself.

How long, and what type of coax cable did you use for your two external antennas?
Bavafa

Post by Bavafa »

Hi Bob,
I will see if I can take half a day off on Friday to be there at 4, otherwise will check for another time for your availability. I also look forward to see your RV10. I have always admired those and have contemplated changing to a RV10.

My cell phone is 530-417-5713 and direct e-mail is mmehranp@gmail.com

DJ,
My antennas are roughly 10-12 (cable run) away from the unit and I have used RG400 coax cable. The unit is behind the panel within a small USB cable reach to the GRT.
deej

Post by deej »

It doesn't sound like your antenna setup should be a problem.