ADS-B Traffic from Sky Radar

Bavafa

ADS-B Traffic from Sky Radar

Post by Bavafa »

Since I installed the Sky Radar D, I see the traffic intermittently displayed. That is that the traffic that is on the screen disappears for 30 second to a couple of minutes and reappears back. I have run multiple test to make sure it is not a traffic that gets out of range, terrain or reception to the ground station issue. I talked to Redenna/Sky Radar and he suggested to use their APP to see if this is an issue with GRT or the device. Sure enough, their APP displays the traffic without a blip while GRT drops it both on my HX and HS screens.
So I was wondering if anybody else is having this issue AND/OR if there is a way of fixing it.

Thanks in advance
Mehrdad
deej

Re: ADS-B Traffic from Sky Radar

Post by deej »

I have a SkyRadar D connected to an HX by way of a USB cable, and it seems to be working fine. It shows traffic without dropouts, and matches what I am seeing on my iPad.

The only things I can think of is to make sure that you are running the latest software on the HX, and try a different USB cable to see if you might have a bad cable.

-Dj
Bavafa

Post by Bavafa »

This is interesting and certainly thank you for the report. I will try a different USB cable to see if that has any effect but I am running the most current SW and it did this with the previous version. I can't remember if there are any settings for the traffic via USB but will check that as well. I hope I can get this fixed. May I ask what App you are running on the IPAD? I am running WingX which behaves the same way, the traffic drops out on IPAD as well but not at the exact time in sync with the GRT.

Thanks
Mehrdad
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

How do you get traffic over to the HS? Is there a dedicated serial line? Can you also move wx over to the HS?
I assume that this is not just a case of traffic moving higher or lower a bit, out of the filter range on the Hx? eg, Hx filter set to off?
I seem to recall that I had a similar issue - traffic not showing on grt nor wingX but did show (maybe? I forget) on the iPad with Skyradar software. I was able to see the Skyradar's status lights and the traffic loss corresponded to the Skyradar's gps dropping out. Apparently it needs its own gps to work, it cannot use the iPad's or GRT's. Skyradar sent me a new gps module and the problem went away.
Bavafa

Post by Bavafa »

I have a serial connection for the interlink between HX and HS. We can send the traffic over this serial link but not the weather as the serial link is too slow for that. The traffic disappearing happens on both the HS and HX as well as Wingx but not simultaneously.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

The fact that it does disappear from WingX as well as the Hx suggests to me that the problem is in the Skyradar. Is your Skyradar gps rock-solid? BTW your Hx should see the Skyradar gps with the latet software. Does that work?
Bavafa

Post by Bavafa »

That was my thought but the fact that traffic never drops within their own app, points to a different issue. Perhaps each of them handel the traffic data differently. The gps within Skyradar is rock solid as well as connection to the stations on the ground. This was happening even in SF airspace which typically has lots of planes airborned.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

If you want to fly down to KLVK we can swap Your sky radar box into my plane, try to isolate the issue. But my money is on the Skyradar box, since WingX on the wifi network is completely separate from the Hx. call Skyradar, ask if they'll swap boxes.
Bavafa

Post by Bavafa »

I appreciate the offer and if you don't mind, I take you on that. Mine is rather easy to disconnect and move. BTW, I did talk to Skyradar and they said to use their own app to confirm if some thing was wrong with the box and seemed to be willing to take care of it.

Weekends works best for me to come down to KLVK, do you have a preference?

Thanks
Mehrdad
deej

Post by deej »

I am running WingX on an iPad 2, connecting wirelessly to the SkyRadar. The GRT HX is connected via USB.

I should note that I also have a Trig TT22 with ADS-B Out which triggers the ground stations to transmit the traffic data.

Do you have ADS-B Out in your aircraft? If not, I am wondering if part of the problem is that you are only seeing the traffic when another ADS-B Out aircraft happens to be near you and you are within the "sphere" of the ground stations sending out the traffic data. Without an ADS-B Out signal, the ground stations will not transmit the traffic data.

I agree that if you are seeing this behaviour on both the iPad and the GRT, then the issue is likely going to be with the SkyRadar unit since it is the common factor. Maybe the SkyRadar unit needs a firmware upgrade?

-Dj