TAS

lwocker

TAS

Post by lwocker »

Can the EFIS be set up to indicate TAS instead of IAS? Since we have pressure altitude, outside temperature and indicated airspeed it should be pretty easy.
Thanks
Larry
RV7A slow build, now flying.
Bobturner

Re: TAS

Post by Bobturner »

TAS can be displayed on the same page as engine instruments.
I would discourage replacing IAS with TAS. Stall speeds, and therefore approach speeds, are IAS, not TAS.
katieb

Post by katieb »

I don't recommend replacing IAS with TAS in the airspeed tape either for the same reason Bob wrote. TAS can be displayed on the PFD, however. In the Horizon, go to Primary Flight Display page in the Set Menu. You can configure one of the data fields to show TAS. It was always displayed on the PFD in the Sport-equipped airplanes I used to fly. I liked it just to see how fast I was "really" going on XC trips at altitude.
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft
http://www.usjabiru.com
GRT Tech Support/Marketing 2012-2014
GRT Pilot Since 2008
BillinDurham

Post by BillinDurham »

katieb wrote:I don't recommend replacing IAS with TAS in the airspeed tape either (actually, you can't do it anyway) for the same reason Bob wrote. TAS can be displayed on the PFD, however. In the Horizon, go to Primary Flight Display page in the Set Menu. You can configure one of the data fields to show TAS. It was always displayed on the PFD in the Sport-equipped airplanes I used to fly. I liked it just to see how fast I was "really" going on XC trips at altitude.
Yes, I configured the PFD to display TAS as follows:

Upper Left Corner Box >>>> True Airspeed (TAS)

(it's about 40 lines in to the menu)

That's worked well for me.
Bill Watson
8NC8 Durham, NC
RV10 HX, G430w, NavWorx, EIS
RV6Bldr

Post by RV6Bldr »

Thanks for the Post! I was thinking that I would give Carlos a call and see if he would tell me how to do this, and started reading the new GRT Website and lo and behold there was the info I was looking for. Too Lazy to read the manual!

Thanks once again and I am sure Carlos will appreciate not having to walk me through the process!

LLoyd
RV6Bldr
katieb

Post by katieb »

For those who would like all the steps:

Go to the Setup Menu.
Open the Primary Flight Display page.
Scroll down until you see the line "Data Boxes." Make sure this field is set to ON.
Highlight any one of the Data Boxes listed and press the knob to select it.
Scroll through the options until you see True Airspeed.
Push the knob to enter.
Press SAVE softkey when you exit the page.

This will display TAS on the PFD in one of the data fields. For the safety reasons cited above, we don't have an option for people to put it on the airspeed tape itself.

Lloyd I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the amount of customization you'll find in these display settings now that you're exploring your system!
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
GRT Pilot Since 2008
RV6Bldr

Post by RV6Bldr »

Thanks Katie, Works like a charm! I have it set in the upper left hand corner. 8000' I am indicating 145/47kts, GPS 160kts, TAS 168/70kts. Looks like a head wind of 8/10 kts. How Cool!

RV6bldr :D
RV6Bldr

Post by RV6Bldr »

OK, I have the TAS in the upper left hand corner of my PFD, that is where my GPS ground speed readout was reporting. How do I keep TAS and still see GPS ground speed as well :?:
katieb

Post by katieb »

Hi Lloyd,

The top Data Box on the Setup Menu/Primary Flight Display page only has room for one field. You now have TAS there. (I said "any line" so I think you just picked the first one on the list!) In the Set Menu/Primary Flight Display page, below the Data Boxes on/off line, you'll see several "Left Box..." and "Right Box..." lists. These display along the bottom of the PFD and are configurable as well. You can put engine, environmental, speed, bearing/distance, all kinds of data in there, including TAS. Most planes I've flown with GRT systems have had the GS in the Upper Left Corner and TAS, OAT, and waypoint information in the lower fields.
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
GRT Pilot Since 2008
paultim374

Post by paultim374 »

Dear I was thinking that I would give Carlos a call and see if he would tell me how to do this, and started reading the new GRT Website and lo and behold there was the info I was looking for.
Find ACCA on Wikipedia and also on Amazon and if you need pass 200-120 in 95+ Marks buy now from our site 100% pass Guranteed