AHARS. Set Level roll and pitch calibration.

Kahuna

AHARS. Set Level roll and pitch calibration.

Post by Kahuna »

Often when mounting our AHARS, we dont get it perfect. My case in point. Im .4 degrees off in pitch, .3 in roll according to the AHARS data on screen. Now this may seem trivial, but you can actually see it off in flight. Enough that if you flew it level on screen you never would be flying level. It would be nice to simply calibrate the AHARS for level pitch and roll. We can measure what level is on the ground through various methods, even in the air under the right conditions. How about we calibrate the AHARS pitch and roll for installation errors. Sure I could go and level up the AHARS. But what a pain (burried in the plane) when we can simply have it done electronically.
What do you think?
Kahuna
S8 , Team AeroDynamix,
Facebook,Track Me
Gold Hill, NC25
Bobturner

Re: AHARS. Set Level roll and pitch calibration.

Post by Bobturner »

In the menu you can adjust the pitch bars up and down. I don't recall the resolution.
katieb

Post by katieb »

To aid in mechanical installation, Ben recently designed a sheet metal magnetometer mount for an RV wingtip rib. It has elongated screw holes so you can adjust the pitch and roll angles using a digital level. You can download the drawing and full-size pattern here: http://grtavionics.com/bezeltemplates.html
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft
http://www.usjabiru.com
GRT Tech Support/Marketing 2012-2014
GRT Pilot Since 2008
dmaib

Post by dmaib »

I'm with you on this Kahuna. I am preparing to install a new Hxr and am concerned about this issue.
David Maib
RV-10 N380DM