My list (long)

Vyking

My list (long)

Post by Vyking »

Last fall, I updated the MFDs in my RV to a 12.3” HXr and first flew it on 10-04-12. Over the next several weeks, I sent seven emails to GRT with problems and suggestions. Below is a summary of my inputs. Since then, there have been a few changes but not many. Particularly disappointing is the absence of audio and the Android app.

Caveat: I’ve tried to validate each issue and identified some as FIXED but may have missed some changes.

Cheers,

John Nystrom

INTERFACE CHANGES
• PFD or MAP > INSET > ENG/STAT: Pressing STATUS through EGT/CHT HISTORY should change the display but not close the menus
• INSET > ENG/STAT > CHECK LIST: Add BACK choice
• VP-X: Move from SCREEN to MORE > ENG
• VP-X: Add HOME key
• HOME key: Make its location the same location (key 9?) for all screens
• MORE: Add HOME to all submenus to speed return
• MORE > ENGINE > SET FUEL and A/P PRESETS: Add HOME keys
• A/P menu activation: Remove option from right knob in all but top-level (HOME) menus and the autopilot menu itself
• Remove INSET options in ENG/MAP and MAP/CHART because there are no options except HOME
• Skip over grayed-out choices. Particularly bad now on autopilot menu
• Add fuel remaining choice for boxes – FIXED
• Show digital course selected – PARTIAL FIX
• SAP: If RWxx is basis for runway selection, do not show Chg Rwy selection because it does not permit change
• Show the lateral return mode next to the boxes above the left tapes on approaches after glide slope capture
• MAP/CHART > INSET: Left knob brings up the CHART controls and the right knob does nothing

XM
• Add LOOP option for NEXRAD if RADAR is SHOW choice
• Add option to change altitude for winds if WINDS is SHOW choice
• Add aging info for XM radar to both PFD and MAP screens

PFD
• Add MISSED option after GS coupling – FIXED
• Show GPS RNP
• Show which GPS is source
• Make the slip indicator more visible. Change color when ½ ball out??

MAP
• Add option to put speed and altitudes tapes along edges of screen
• Add LO + TERM FIXES choice
• Allow different configurations; e.g., ranges, for the inset and full-screen maps

WARNINGS
• Make small boxes more meaningful by showing the source info entered General Setup; e.g., SL-30 vice Serial 2.
• Revise logic for low fuel quantity so if the pilot inhibits the advisory for the flight, do not show the advisory again if it clears and then reoccurs. Fuel sloshes.

PLATES
• Cache the last plate so reloading is not necessary

ANDROID APP
• Get out what you have now! GRT demoed an app at OSH and it’s all over the GRT site. When I upgraded to a 12.3” HXr, I bought a NEXUS 7. That was in Aug 2012, the price of the tablet has dropped $50 and there is still no app

AUDIO
• Implement! I’ve had audio wired since 2004. Glide path capture, Glide slope capture, 500 above, 200 above and Minimums, Missed approach point (RWxx for approaches), 200 below/above for level offs, Check engine, check fuel, check volts, and Circuit fault, Traffic

LOG BOOK
• Fix logbook airborne time error (showed takeoff at 1649Z, landing at 1749Z, but it had 1.1 for the time)
• Add/improve filtering to avoid bogus entries. If airspeed < 50 kts, my RV is not airborne.
• Add way to delete entries

FLIGHT TIME
• Fix flight time so it displays airborne time, not Hobbs time

INADVERTANT APPROACH CANCELLATION
• Reduce chances of inadvertent approach cancellation: After GS capture on the ILS, changing LAT A/P from ENAV to HDG, the EFIS cancels the approach. Either the EFIS should not allow the pilot to select HDG or it should not decouple. Did not try changing ENAV to GNAV.

SL 30 TUNING:
• Support channels by storing frequencies as channels and rotating a knob to access them.
• Inhibit COM and NAV freq display and selection if SL 30 is not connect or turned on.
• Fix kybd problems:
o With SL 30 unpowered, pushing and holding freq knob opened small window with cursor over second number does not open the kybd. Same problem with both COM and NAV.
o Unable to get the tuning keys to appear by holding the tuning knob down in MAP. Worked OK in PFD.
• Filter freqs entry better:
o Filter 160.xxx freq selections: Was able to select 160.000 to 162.995 for COM freq. Aviation weather is only broadcast on seven freqs from 162.400 to 162.550, not the entire range from 162.000 to 162.975.
o Loaded freq below 118.000 (117.750) into the EFIS standby window with the keys and quickly swapped to active. The radio ignored the attempt to change the freq and the active freq windows on the EFIS reverted to former valid freq soon after.

TRAFFIC-INDUCED YELLOW SCREEN:
• At times, the screen background alternates between the normal and a puke-yellow – Possibly fixed

DEMO
• Add a recording icon (blinking red dot like a video recorder??) on the PFD and MAP screens.
• Display Z-time when the demo was recorded vice actual Z-time during playback.
• Add fast forward and pause during playback.
• Display the green DEMO with date-time stamp on the MAP as well as PFD screen
• After pressing RECORD, the menu continues to show PLAY and RECORD. Only after pressing BACK and DEMO did the menu offer a STOP option - FIXED

CHART
• Improve chart upload process so rebooting is not required