VFR GPS Garmin 18x/PC series

kwiatkma

VFR GPS Garmin 18x/PC series

Post by kwiatkma »

Ok, so I went an alternative route to my GPS dilemma (EOL and slow Garmin GNS250). I ended up with a Garmin 18PC serial WAAS GPS. An RV guy on the vans air force forum was able to get it to work on an HX or HXr? Anyone done that on this forum that could shed some light?

I currently have pin 3 on the GPS DB9 set to an input on the HXr. I set the GPS puck for NMEA out on 4800 baud (on my PC using Garmin software and save it to the GPS puck memory). Set the serial input on the port to NMEA0183 on the HXr and 4800 baud and I don't get any input data.....I do get data and satellite acquisition on my PC.....I was futzing around with it tonight (upgraded firmware on the Garmin and turned on ALL the NMEA sentences) and will try again tomorrow.

In a couple years I'll take the IFR GPS plunge for ADSB but not today! (Maybe I'll wait for the GRT IFR solution?)
GRT_Jeff

Re: VFR GPS Garmin 18x/PC series

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Pin 2 is the output on a standard female serial DB9.

The only required sentence is RMC, which is usually in the defaults. A few other sentences can provide additional data. You should at least get the Serial Input Counter going on the EFIS with a matched baud rate. If you aren't getting any counter activity, there's a wiring problem. If the GPS is on an isolated power supply, you'll need to connect the ground to the avionics ground.
kwiatkma

Re: VFR GPS Garmin 18x/PC series

Post by kwiatkma »

Jeff,

Got it up and running...that was it, pin 2! Thanks a ton. Patiently waiting for a GRT FAA certified IFR GPS for ads-B!

-Matt