Mini and engine data / ADS-B

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
Sonex1517

Mini and engine data / ADS-B

Post by Sonex1517 »

Hi

I have a Mini and am interested in adding engine data and ADS-B in the long term. Two questions.

1. For engine data what is required to get the engine parameters to the Mini? I didn't see this specified on the web page.
2. Same question for ADS-B - what is required to feed the data to the Mini?

Thanks!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Jabiru 3300 Generation 4 powered taildragger
N1517S
First flight 10/10/2015
http://www.sonexfoundation.com
deej

Re: Mini and engine data / ADS-B

Post by deej »

Sonex1517 wrote: 1. For engine data what is required to get the engine parameters to the Mini? I didn't see this specified on the web page.
2. Same question for ADS-B - what is required to feed the data to the Mini?
I was curious about the same thing, and this is what I believe to be true.

1) You will need the GRT EIS engine monitoring system, and a serial line from the EIS to the Mini. You will also need to buy the optional Mini software to enable the engine display on the Mini.

2) You will need an ADS-B receiver. I believe you can use either a serial line or a USB connection to get the data from the ADS-B receiver to the Mini.

If you have an HX/HXr system, you may be able to connect the hardware (EIS and ADS-B receiver) to this, and share the data to the Mini over a serial link. I am not sure the software has been released yet to do this, but I seem to remember one of the GRT beta testers commenting that this should be possible soon.

-Dj
jclark

Re: Mini and engine data / ADS-B

Post by jclark »

Engine data - AS mention by "deej" either direct connect (serial) from an EIS or via Display Unit Link from other GRT EFIS.
ADS-B - Two parts
1. Via Display Unit Link (serial), you can get TRAFFIC (only .. at least for now) on a MAP page
2. Via ADS-B Receiver connection (Serial or USB) you can get full weather, METARS etc, plus traffic.

Not sure of the release level for all of the above as I have been through several BETA versions as things got improved.

I now use an iLevil2 AW to supply ADS-B data via USB to my HXr and via serial to my MINI.

James