SKYRADAR D2 weather on HX-HS system

Bavafa

SKYRADAR D2 weather on HX-HS system

Post by Bavafa »

Does the information that SKYRadar put in GRT thru the USB port gets sent out via the serial port on HX?
I have a two screen system (HX and HS) and used to have my XM Weather connected via USB to my HX then pass on the weather thru the serial port to the HS and ability to displaying it. Now, I have SKYRadar D2 connected via the USB but do not see the weather on the HS, only traffic. Is there any way I can display the weather on my HS as well?
mamcelr

Re: SKYRADAR D2 weather on HX-HS system

Post by mamcelr »

This post goes back a couple years, but I don't see that anyone answered the question. I am new to GRT having just purchased a flying RV-7A with an HX and 2 HS's in the panel. I am experiencing the same outcome, ADS-B info on the HX, but only traffic on the two HS's when in Map mode. I talked to GRT Support and was told I should see all ADS-B data on the HS screens as well. I have the Skyradar D connected to the HX via USB. In General Setup for the HX, the USB ADS-B line is set to "On".

Any help would be appreciated!!
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

ADS-B FIS-B/weather data does not transfer over the RS232 display link. The 32 highest priority traffic reports will go over the link. The weather data only transfers over the Ethernet display link between HX and HXr screens.
mamcelr

Post by mamcelr »

Thank you Jeff. That alleviates a lot of frustration I've had trying to force something to work that never will ;-)

I have a few follow-up questions. The HX and one of the HS screens are stacked in front of the pilot with the HX on top acting as the PFD and the HS below it as the Map. The D2 is plugged into the HX via the #1 USB port. This scenario requires me to put the HX in Map mode in order to see ADS-B radar and METAR info. In turn, I then change the HS display to PFD if I'm going to be looking at the weather for any amount of time. It's a little cumbersome.

Is it possible to plug the D2 into the HS and get both ADS-B weather and traffic info on that display? If yes, I noticed the Setup menus are slightly different between the HX and HS. What line on the HS setup menu would need to be changed to accept ADS-B weather and traffic input from the D2? And, will the 32 highest priority traffic reports go in the opposite direction from the HS to the HX via the RS232 link? Are there any special settings required in the HX setup menu to make that happen?

Thank you for your help, much appreciated!
Bavafa

Post by Bavafa »

I have the same setup as yours only side by side and I don't believe you can connect the skyradar to the HS. I do display the map on the HS and PDF on the HX, I get the syntactic vision that way. If I need to look at the weather, I switch to the map on the HX. It is a bit of hassle but I don't need to see weather all the time. Hope this helps and of course Jeff can correct me if I am wrong.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Above are correct, Skyradar won't work on HS and HX will send traffic but not wx radar over to tbe HS.
I too have an HX-HS-Skyradar combo. Usually I splt the HX screen, PFD-Map. This works fine for traffic, and for strategic use of wx-radar. If I feel the need to use the full screen, I use the HX map page, let the Trio fly and monitor it with the backup efis. HS stays on engine page.
mamcelr

Post by mamcelr »

Thank you both for your input. I'm sure If Jeff responds he will confirm your findings. A little disappointing but at least I know. I have lots to learn about how all this interfaces and works. On to the next the next challenge!
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The USB port on the HS is limited to USB flash drives, so a SkyRadar D2 can't connect to it. The SkyRadar DX is the only model with a serial output that can connect to an HS, on a high speed port.
jclark

Post by jclark »

GRT_Jeff wrote:The USB port on the HS is limited to USB flash drives, so a SkyRadar D2 can't connect to it. The SkyRadar DX is the only model with a serial output that can connect to an HS, on a high speed port.
The FDS unit has serial out.

The iLevil units have serial **AND** USB out. (I use the iLevil2 AW in my RV8 with HXr and dual MINIs)

James
mamcelr

Post by mamcelr »

Jeff and James . . . thanks for the updated info. Good to know the DX is an option given I already have a D2. And thanks for the lead on the other units as well James.