ELT RS232 CONNECTIVITY

VELOCITY-XLRG

ELT RS232 CONNECTIVITY

Post by VELOCITY-XLRG »

Good Morning and Merry Christmas Eve to All,

As part of my panel/aircraft upgrades, I am also installing an ELT (ARTEX ELT-345) and would like to understand what capabilities the HXr has for displaying info and functionality with this.

In the ARTEX manual it states baud rates based on different setups (I have attached a screenshot from the installation manual) and would like to know:

1. HXr Capabililties with this ELT (aka what can it do from an interaction and display standpoint)
2. Verify which Serial naming and baud settings are correct.

Thanks very much,

Gary E.
VELOCITY XLRG
ARB
Attachments
IMG_4311.jpeg
IMG_4311.jpeg (611.54 KiB) Viewed 160012 times
IMG_4310.jpeg
IMG_4310.jpeg (753.46 KiB) Viewed 160012 times
GRT_Jeff

Re: ELT RS232 CONNECTIVITY

Post by GRT_Jeff »

An EFIS serial output can be programmed to output "Autopilot (NMEA0183)" data at 4800 baud or "Autopilot (Aviation)" data at 9600 baud. You can only have one of these outputs per EFIS display so if you are already using it you may need to splice wires. If you have our Safe-Fly GPS, then another option is to configure it to output Safe-Fly NMEA0183 at 4800. The ELT has to be programmed to accept one of these.

There is no other interaction between the ELT and the EFIS. The EFIS can't report any status information or command any tests.
VELOCITY-XLRG

Post by VELOCITY-XLRG »

Thanks Jeff and Happy New Year,

So if I understand correctly;

1. If I have the output you mention below available on either HXr I can use that...or
2. I can use the Safely Outputs (would those be the extra SPC ports?)
3. I am installing your GRT Autopilot servos so does that automatically take one of those "autopilot (NMEA0183) ports" away?
4. Does "splicing" cause any degradation of signal or concerns?

Thank you,

Gary E.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

1. You can configure an "Autopilot (NMEA0183)" or "Autopilot (Aviation)" output on any serial port. You can even share it with a different input on the same port, as long as the baud rates are the same. These Autopilot outputs will use any GPS input on the EFIS.

2. The Safe-Fly SPC ports can send out plain GPS data directly, independent of the EFIS, but only Safe-Fly NMEA0183 format. Multiple SPC outputs can be configured as Safe-Fly NMEA0183. The ELT doesn't need the extra "autopilot" data so the SPC ports are a good option. If you run out of ports on the EFIS display, you can configure an SPC output as one of the "Autopilot" outputs but that would be the sent by the EFIS the same as any other port in the system, and you can still only have one of those configured.

3. No, the servos have a separate "GRT Autopilot Servo" selection.

4. Splicing generally works for up to 3 devices (1 output connected to 3 inputs).
VELOCITY-XLRG

Post by VELOCITY-XLRG »

Thanks Jeff,

I just learned from ARTEX that they program all of them with the "Aviation" format (not the NMEA0183) and will need the 9600 Baud Rate.

If I want to use the NMEA0183 it would require me sending it in to a 3rd party (like Dallas Avionics, etc) for "reprogramming" which I would like to very much avoid.

Based on this and your earlier reply, this negates the capability of using those SPC ports right? As they are all NMEA0183 and do not offer the other Aviation Protocol?

Thanks again,

Gary Ernest
VELOCITY XLRG
ARB, MI
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

You would have to use the "Autopilot (Aviation)" output. You can use one of the SPC ports for this output but it won't be sent directly by the Safe-Fly so there's no reason to do that unless you're out of ports on the HXr. The EFIS would send the Autopilot Aviation data to the Safe-Fly and the Safe-Fly would relay this to the SPC port.