FLIR USB input or other camera?

kwiatkma

FLIR USB input or other camera?

Post by kwiatkma »

Quick question! I know the HXr will interface to your FLIR camera via USB. I have absolutely no need for that right now, however what drivers does the HXr look for to interface the video? Could I attach another non-FLIR camera (say a go pro or other off the shelf) to the USB and have the HXr recognize it?

Why I'm thinking this is I have a pusher aircraft (engine in the back) and It would be cool to mount a rear looking camera to see if anyone is really by the prop before I start.....and to see if I'm on fire, see how well my smoke system is working etc!

Just wondering!

Thanks

-Matt N213MK
saybeengineering

Re: FLIR USB input or other camera?

Post by saybeengineering »

Hey Matt. You can connect any ANALOG Camera with a composite output to it, but you need to have the right interface for it. Not USB direct.
The HXr drivers are base on the Hauppauge 610 USB-Live 2 interface (others will not work). You can purchase it at Amazon for less than $50.00

Cheers,
Afif Saybe
LongEZ, HR-ATQ
akskyhawk

Post by akskyhawk »

How about the GoPro Hero3.
saybeengineering

Post by saybeengineering »

The USB Live2 adapter connects to any S-Video/composite video source over USB. The Go Pro is digital, USB direct unit. I was advice earlier, that he only driver on the HXr to receive the analog signal of the FLIR device or any other camera, is this interface. So in theory it is probably not compatible....However, GRT should confirm this....

Regards,
Afif Saybe
LongEZ, HR-ATQ
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The drivers are limited, so you have to know the details about the chips they use. That is why we test and stock some adapters. I don't think the GoPro even has live video output over USB.
kwiatkma

Post by kwiatkma »

I've got the information that I needed. Thanks all who responded. I see the driver is written for the adapter so that any analog camera can be attached. Now I just have to find a camera mounting area and camera!
bd4c

Post by bd4c »

Jeff,

What adapters are supported other than the Hauppauge 610? Pretty much every modern camera is HDMI out. Is there a specific HDMI adapter where the chipset is supported?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

No HDMI adapters are known to work and we would have to program the EFIS to make one work if it were even possible. The problem is almost everything that supports HDMI, any HD input, or digital SD input uses compressed video streams with advanced codecs because of the amount of data in HD, and often special drivers, which means we need codec software and drivers in the EFIS. The advanced codec software often has patent/copyright restrictions that are very expensive, and decoding can require lots of processing power if the processor doesn't have a built-in decoder. The drivers can be hard to get if they aren't using a standard USB video interface. I think our latest processor is the only one that can decode the current codecs in real time but I haven't tested that. Besides that, the EFIS might not be able to input and display the HD data fast enough.