Display Dimming

Justin

Display Dimming

Post by Justin »

I would like the option for dimming my display even lower than setting 1. It's still pretty bright on those pitch black nights. Could this be done with a software patch?
GRT_Jeff

Re: Display Dimming

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If you have a WS model, there is no adjustment. If the WS brightness isn't changing when you change the level, the backlight may be malfunctioning.

If you have a 6.5" HS or HX, you can try going to the SET MENU, Display Unit Maintenance, PIC Calibration page and adjusting the Dimmer Minimum Override. There is a limit to how dark it can get that varies with each model and the environment. There may be some room for adjustment in your installation. Allow the screen to warm up first.

If you have an 8.4" or larger screen, the dimmer minimum should already be set at the lowest reliable point. Values 0 and 1 should not be used.
RV-10flyer

Post by RV-10flyer »

I used window tinting on my HX's to get mine lower than 1 for those occasional night flights. Yes, one level dimmer would be nice.
johngoodman

Post by johngoodman »

I know this is an old post, but I want to set my screen dimmer up, since I've been doing some night flying. I went into the settings, and found it set to 255. The manual talks about settings between 1 and 8. Am I missing something?
John
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The dimmer control is one of the knobs. For WS/HS/HX/SX models, on any PFD, MAP, or ENG page, push the left knob to highlight the "DIM" selection and then rotate then knob. The number goes from 1 (minimum brightness) to 10 (maximum brightness). If the brightness doesn't change much, there may be a problem with the calibration.

Or do you mean an external dimmer control?
johngoodman

Post by johngoodman »

I guess I didn't make things clear. I know about the left hand dimmer knob that shares the heading. There is another setting for dimming in the Set Menu, Display Unit Maint... mine was at 255, and I assumed that there is some automatic dimming in it - just like my backup Dynon D-10A and my VP-200. My panel dimmer is another knob that controls my radio stack, but not the HX.
I'm guessing that the only way to dim the HX is the knob.
John
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

John,
If you wire your panel dimmer into an analog port on the HX you can use it to control the brightness. Dimmer has to supply a simple voltage, not pulse width modulated. I recall filling in a set up table associated with the chosen analog port, to 'program' the brightness. I do not recall where, but it's in one of the manuals somewhere.

But the Hx has no photocell sensor, there is no 'automatic' dimming.