Garmin GDL39 ADSB Weather and Traffic support

Kahuna

Garmin GDL39 ADSB Weather and Traffic support

Post by Kahuna »

Would like to see Garmin GDL 39 weather in support for the EFIS. Wired to serial would be just fine.
Happy to Beta test.
Kahuna
S8 , Team AeroDynamix,
Facebook,Track Me
Gold Hill, NC25
GRTBen

Re: Garmin GDL39 ADSB Weather and Traffic support

Post by GRTBen »

Mike

We would not mind being able to support the GDL 39 system. We just need a unit to test and use to create software. If you know someone that has one and would be willing to let us use it for a few weeks let me know.

Ben
GRTBen
Tech Support
GRT Avionics
Kahuna

Post by Kahuna »

Mine is on its way.
Im naked with no weather and no Fox News to travel with. What am I gonna do? :cry:
Kahuna
S8 , Team AeroDynamix,
Facebook,Track Me
Gold Hill, NC25
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Unfortunately, the data coming out of it is not anything we recognize. It is trying to communicate using Garmin's serial format structure with undocumented message identifiers. I don't see any standard data embedded in there.
Kahuna

Post by Kahuna »

Well Jeff as it turns out from Garmin they DO NOT currently support any interface to 3rd party products nor will they release the specs.
SO I guess this means there will be no GDL 39 weather interface for a while. ARGH!
Thanks for taking a look.
Kahuna
S8 , Team AeroDynamix,
Facebook,Track Me
Gold Hill, NC25
JoelM

Post by JoelM »

I am curious about the serial traffic output from the GDL39. Since the Garmin 396, and 496 support serial port traffic from the GDL39 I assume the traffic is in the same format as the Garmin 330 Modes S Transponder traffic. And since the GRT HX supports traffic from the 330 will the HX accept traffic date from the GDL39? If I can figure out a way to set the Serial Port rate of the GDL39 I will try a science experment
Joel RV9A with HX, Trig 22 and GDL39 using Garmin Pilot on an Android Tab2
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The GDL39 starts with a baud rate of 9600. I looked at the data coming out of it, but I did not see any 330-compatible data. The data would fit right in, but it must need a message from the other end to turn it on.