Sport EX using Trutrak autopilot

pilotmansam

Sport EX using Trutrak autopilot

Post by pilotmansam »

I have installed a Sport EX and interfaced this to my Trutrak Vizion autopilot. This all seems to work great and is very enjoyable to fly. I am considering purchase of the GRT ARINC module. My first question is, if I connect the ARNIC to the EFIS and to the autopilot, will the EFIS send vertical and lateral guidance via the Synthetic Approach to the autopilot? This would be fun to experiment with!
GRT_Jeff

Re: Sport EX using Trutrak autopilot

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If the EX has the Vertical Autopilot Functions option (also known as the GPSV option or IFR autopilot option) then it will send lateral and vertical commands through the ARINC-429 output for all approaches it can capture including Synthetic Approach. If the EX doesn't have the Vertical option then you will only get lateral commands and altitude hold. TruTrak autopilots with ARINC-429 and GPS steering will follow the commands.
pilotmansam

Post by pilotmansam »

Man, this stuff gets complicated as you add more and more!

I currently fly an RV-6. I have installed a GRT-EX and TruTrak Vizion. This setup works great. I have now ordered the GRT vertical autopilot software and the AINRC module. Before I dive under that panel AGAIN, I want to be sure I understand as much as possible about this wiring. The Vizion pinout shows an RS232 output on pin 7 labeled "output to G3X/AFS-5000 series" and says it is for "integrated control mode".

Does anyone know what this does, and does it have any application to my GRT?

I realize this is a little detailed, but thought I would throw it out anyway. Thanks.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

It's probably a remote status output from the Vizion. The GRT displays don't support that interface and we don't have plans to implement it.
pilotmansam

Post by pilotmansam »

A couple more ARNIC questions, if possible. As mentioned before I have installed a Sport EX and interfaced this to my Trutrak Vizion autopilot. This all seems to work great and is very enjoyable to fly. I have now installed the vertical autopilot software and purchased the ARINC module. First question: The TruTrak pinout shows a connection for "GPS ARINC A" and one for "GPS ARINC B". I assume these should be connected to the GRT ARINC pins for "ARINC 429 Out-A" and "ARINC 429 Out-B". Would that be correct?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Yes, our module has a single pair of output pins (pins 5 and 9) and you should connect the A to A and the B to B.