Xm wx: HX to HS via high speed serial line

Bobturner

Xm wx: HX to HS via high speed serial line

Post by Bobturner »

I have an xm wx receiver going into my HX via USB; it then goes via a 115K baud serial link to the HS. This used to work, but I just noticed it isn't transfering over now. I temporarily used this link (lower baud rate) as the inter unit link and it worked, so I'm tempted to say it is not hardware. I cannot recall looking for xm on the HS since the last software upgrade. Is it pssible there is a bug in the latest release? Anyone else running the most recent software have this xm transfer link working?
GRT_Jeff

Re: Xm wx: HX to HS via high speed serial line

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The repeater hasn't been changed in a long time. I just confirmed that it's still working.

HX
Serial Rate: 115200
Serial Output: USB WX Processor Repeater

HS
Serial Input: Weather

The Serial Input Counter on the HS should increase at least once every 10 seconds even without an XM signal. This regular message fills in the version and radio status information on the Weather Status page in Display Unit Maintenance. The information should be the same on both displays.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. My HS serial counter does change; it jumps a few hundred counts about once a second, with no change in between. My HX map says "radar 2 minutes old". My HS map page says "no radar". (there's no other wx data either). I'll re-check all my settings.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

GRT_Jeff wrote:The repeater hasn't been changed in a long time. I just confirmed that it's still working.

HX
Serial Output: USB WX Processor Repeater

HS
Serial Input: Weather

The Serial Input Counter on the HS should increase at least once every 10 seconds even without an XM signal. This regular message fills in the version and radio status information on the Weather Status page in Display Unit Maintenance. The information should be the same on both displays.
Jeff,

I confirmed that all the above is true (serial input counter increases, radio status info appears on the HS Weather Status page in DU maintenance, same as on the HX. But no wx info is available on any HS map page. Any ideas?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I can't think of anything at the moment. The METARS should come in no matter what. The only catch is that the repeater is a very simple one-way interface. It sends the data at the same time the HX gets it. If something goes wrong in the transfer, or if the HS is turned off or rebooted, the HS will miss the data. No attempt is made to resynchronize the HS weather data with the HX if it missed or loses anything. If they are both on at the same time, then they should both be getting the same data at the same time. There are counters at the bottom of the Weather Status page for each product we support. The numbers should change around the same time. The HS just takes a little longer to process the data.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Thanks for looking Jeff. As I said it used to work so why it won't now is a mystery.
But now it's a moot point, as I have decided to ditch xm in favor of ADSB-in (SkyRadar).
And I gather the ADSB weather will not go over the 115K baud weather link between HX and HS (I tried and got "no data on serial 2 input (HS)"?
Any chance this could be a future upgrade? I know HS support must be on the back burner now.

Bob