Safety Concern- Near Midair

gbrasch

Safety Concern- Near Midair

Post by gbrasch »

Long story short, flying along at 8500' under ATC control. Have 2 targets showing in my area overlapping each other (Nav Worx unit). Display on one shows several thousand feet below me, covering up the other target. Then that target drops off showing the underlying target at my exact altitude. I look in that direction and at my 2 o'clock is an aircraft within 300 feet of me coming straight at me, now doing an evasive maneuver. Never a traffic alert from ATC (ABQ Center). Programers, is there some way with overlapping targets to make the target closer to our altitude show first? Thanks in advance. Glenn
Glenn Brasch
RV-9A
Tucson (KRYN), AZ
Owner, www.RVairspace.com
Bobturner

Re: Safety Concern- Near Midair

Post by Bobturner »

What GRT EFIS are you using? The HX or HXr should have showed the close-in traffic on the PFD display, over top of the AI.
Just a reminder: unless you are in class A or B airspace ATC is not responsible for traffic separation. And, until 2020, there are no guarantees with ADSB, either.
revenson

Post by revenson »

I thought traffic only showed on the map pages. Anyway, the original comment is still a good one. It's not about liability but clarity.
gbrasch

Post by gbrasch »

Bobturner wrote:What GRT EFIS are you using? The HX or HXr should have showed the close-in traffic on the PFD display, over top of the AI.
Just a reminder: unless you are in class A or B airspace ATC is not responsible for traffic separation. And, until 2020, there are no guarantees with ADSB, either.
I have the Sport SX and was in the Map Mode. And I realize it is my responsibility to "see and avoid", not my point, just a safety suggestion to the programmers to see if there is a potential fix.
Glenn Brasch
RV-9A
Tucson (KRYN), AZ
330drvr

Post by 330drvr »

You also can go into the GRT settings and specify that traffic only plus or minus such and such altitude will be displayed. I use +/- 1500 feet, so I don't get bogged down by traffic 5000 feet above me (who cares).

I don't know if the Sport does this, but the HX displays traffic on the PFD as well which would help you discriminate the most serious threat.
RV-7A
Dual HX, Mini X, dual adaptive AHRS, GRT EIS
gbrasch

Post by gbrasch »

330drvr wrote:You also can go into the GRT settings and specify that traffic only plus or minus such and such altitude will be displayed. I use +/- 1500 feet, so I don't get bogged down by traffic 5000 feet above me (who cares).

I don't know if the Sport does this, but the HX displays traffic on the PFD as well which would help you discriminate the most serious threat.
Very helpful, thanks. I need to find out if the Sport will do that, not sure.
Glenn Brasch
RV-9A
Tucson (KRYN), AZ
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

We probably could sort the traffic by altitude. I will look into it.

All displays have the "Traffic Altitude Filter" in SET MENU, General Setup.
330drvr

Post by 330drvr »

Since we are on the subject, I will again put a pitch in for a distance filter to work in conjunction with the traffic filter. I think showing traffic more than say 10 miles away is a serious distraction and also tends to cover up map details. I do thank you for the altitude filter. I use +/- 1500 feet. The Navworx software used to have both of these filters but for some reason was removed in later software. I have suggested to Navworx to restore them in a future revision.
RV-7A
Dual HX, Mini X, dual adaptive AHRS, GRT EIS