Bluetooth dongle, ADSB, Stratus/Stratux, GDL39

Bill_H

Bluetooth dongle, ADSB, Stratus/Stratux, GDL39

Post by Bill_H »

I bought a Velocity with a single screen HXR (now running 7.02) and have been reading manuals and checking config and connections.

1. It has a bluetooth dongle connected. The only mention of bluetooth in the manuals is in the Install manual, for connecting to an Android device to the GRT app. Are there other uses? (Searching for "bluetooth" on this forum produces too many hits to see any of them! I try to search forums first before posting what may be an already-answered question.)

2. The plane had a Sirius XM puck receiver but no subscription. I would rather have ADSB-in. STRATUX lists its compatibility to include GRT - but how would I get it in? Would I have to get/make a Stratux with a wired (USB) serial OUTPUT and connect to an HXR serial input? The XM seemed to be connected that way. I have a StratuS available but the only output from it is via WiFi.

3. The plane also has a GDL393D ADSB receiver connected to a Garmin 796. The GDL has bluetooth out for, for example, Foreflight. But the serial lines from the 796 only speak "Garmin" and I do not think they can be connected into the GRT and understood (stupid Garmin...)

Suggestions?

Bill H
GRT_Jeff

Re: Bluetooth dongle, ADSB, Stratus/Stratux, GDL39

Post by GRT_Jeff »

1. That is the only purpose of a Bluetooth dongle at this time and there are no other plans for it.

2. Yes, you need at least one USB serial adapter to get the output from the Stratux into the EFIS. We are working on our own Stratux-based receiver with the serial output built in. Our systems don't have WiFi yet but we are planning to add that. Even with WiFi it's not clear if some versions of the Stratus could ever talk to an EFIS.

If the XM service included weather and sent it to the EFIS then there would also have to be a big receiver box. Usually those connected directly to the EFIS over USB. Some of our older models had a separate GRT weather processor box that handled the USB-serial conversion.

3. Correct, the GDL39 only talks to Garmin devices.