Sending GPS Data Over Serial to a Device

bd4c

Sending GPS Data Over Serial to a Device

Post by bd4c »

I have an ACK GPS connected to EFIS PDF 1 (in a two screen system) to EFIS Serial 4 Output. The EIS is using EFIS Serial 4 Input, both at 9600b.

How do I direct NEMA GPS data to output on this port?
GRT_Jeff

Re: Sending GPS Data Over Serial to a Device

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Set the output to "Autopilot (NMEA0183)". This includes the GPGGA message if your GPS provides altitude data.

If the ACK ELT accepts the Garmin panel mount Aviation format like many do, the EFIS can alternatively be set to "Autopilot (Aviation)" to send that format.
bd4c

Post by bd4c »

Worked. The E-04 was expecting 0183 and the setting change fit the bill. Thx.
minnimo65757

Post by minnimo65757 »

I am installing a Horizon 10.1 so I know this is not the correct forum thread but this is what I posted in the Horizon thread and I am hoping somebody here can help me out. Spfar there isn't much activity in the Horizon 10.1 thread but my question is pretty universal. Thanks
Is there a publication anywhere that explains a lot of the terminology that is used in the wiring of the GPS navigators, and EFIS systems. For a amateur it get pretty confusing. Sometimes a unit has a RS232 pinout or a serial pinout and it can be RX or TX and I understand that but sometimes it only goes one way it will be out but there will be no in, is that normal that a serial port will work with only an output wire? I come from the communications environment and everything had to have a TX and corresponding RX. So a book or something that explains the principal behind all the interactions between the different components would help.