Wind Vector Different

JimB

Wind Vector Different

Post by JimB »

I'm getting used to my two Sport EX EFIS. Nice improvement from my old Sport HS units.

The wind vector is quite different on the MFD than the PFD. The PFD is correct while the MFD is 20-30-40 deg in error. Is this a setting issue? I have the magnetometer output connected to both EFIS. I display track on the MFD so don't know if mag heading on it is in error.

Thanks

Jim Butcher
GRT_Jeff

Re: Wind Vector Different

Post by GRT_Jeff »

It's probably a calibration difference. To read correctly they have to agree on everything, especially the magnetic heading. You can see the computed Magnetic Heading from the magnetometer on each screen in SET MENU, AHRS Maintenance, "Magnetometer Heading". This is computed using roll and pitch to figure out the orientation of the magnetic field. Also confirm your "Gyro Heading" line includes the word "EMAG" on both screens meaning the AHRS is receiving and using magnetometer input. Make sure both displays show the exact same roll and pitch on the ground. Use the AHRS Orientation adjustments if necessary. Then make sure both have the same Magnetometer Orientation data. This data is stored in each AHRS and not synchronized so it has to be done on each screen. Our newest software tries to do this for you with every Magnetometer Calibration run, if both screens are powered up at the time. In older software or any other case this has to be activated manually. Go to the Magnetometer Orientation page on the MFD and activate the Magnetometer Roll/Pitch function to have its AHRS learn the orientation. Then check the Mag Cal Data Sync in AHRS Maintenance on both screens to see if they recognize they are sharing the same magnetometer and synchronizing. If you highlight this line and push the knob it will open another menu with more information and possible sync functions. The July 2022 display software update fixes some issue with calibration sync. If it doesn't recognize the magnetometer serial number, you can use this menu to tell each screen they are both using magnetometer "1" for example. The screens check this every time they boot so you may need to reboot after changing and saving that. If the screen suggests an Update or Mismatch, you can use the lines to send the data from that screen to the other screen.
JimB

Post by JimB »

Jeff,
I found the magnetic heading was different, 187 vs 184. The Magnetometer Roll/Pitch function seems to have corrected the problem. At least now they both report the same heading. Weather was too poor to fly today to verify.

The install manual could really use updating about set up for two displays and sharing of a magnetometer. Even the AHRS selection is not too clear.

I have noticed that when using the right hand encoder knob going up or down a list ( I use the checklist feature and also on the setup pages), it seems like the encoder gets ahead of the processor. As I scroll down, the curser will jump back up a couple lines. If I pause or scroll slowly, it keeps up better. The MFD seems worse than the PFD. It's not a big problem but maybe something to look at in a future update.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim Butcher
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If your EX was made this year (roughly serial numbers 580+) then it already has updated knob software. If you rotate it very fast then it can skip around or go nowhere. If it doesn't work at slower speeds (a steady rate of about up to 3/4 of a turn per second) then the knob/encoder is bad and will need to be replaced to fix it. For older circuit boards we have a special software update to try first.