Lightspeed EI - Timing Advance Output with L2e

VELOCITY-XLRG

Lightspeed EI - Timing Advance Output with L2e

Post by VELOCITY-XLRG »

As you are most likely aware, Lightspeed Engineering provides an output to display Timing Advance information. This info is provided with mV so an op-amp is required to bring the signals to the 0-5V range and be able to be displayed on the HXr EFIS. Lightspeed provides two ways to do this, one with a format using Simpson LCD displays that he wires in-house and another option is to use the Flight Data Systems (FDS) adapter (http://www.fdatasystems.com/l2e-light-s ... is-adapter) which will provide the signals at the 0-5V range and the ability to display this information on the GRT EFIS!

Next question is how can I then take this input into the HXr(s)? Can you please advise what the steps would be with the HXr's?

Connection info below:
L2e_Manual.pdf
(150 KiB) Downloaded 1650 times
Lightspeed Output Connector Diagram.pdf
(461.43 KiB) Downloaded 1541 times
Lightspeed Output Connector Diagram.pdf
(461.43 KiB) Downloaded 1541 times
Lastly on this subject, Flight Data Systems explained to me today that other customers using the GRT Remote EIS System are experiencing "noisy" connections to this where Dynon and others are not. This is causing fluctuations of the percentage of advance info on the display. Does this make sense and is there a way to reduce/eliminate this "noise"?

Thank you,

Gary E
Attachments
Lightspeed EI - Plasma III INPUT Diagram.pdf
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 1466 times
GRT_Jeff

Re: Lightspeed EI - Timing Advance Output with L2e

Post by GRT_Jeff »

0-5V signals would work with the Aux inputs on the EIS or the Analog Inputs on the HXr.

For example you could wire the L2e Out 2 - Pin 6 to the HXr Analog Input 1 pin B21. Then you would configure the analog input in SET MENU, General Setup:
Analog 1 Function: Aux (EIS compatible)
Analog 1 Internal Pull-Up: Off
Analog 1 Scale Factor: 25
Analog 1 Offset: 0
Analog 1 Sensing: Forward
Analog 1 Integer/Decimal: Integer
Analog 1 Aux Function: Aux
Analog 1 Aux Name: Tim Adv (or whatever name you want)
Optional:
Analog 1 Remote Channel: Pick an unused channel 1-16 if you want to send this input to another display.

The above settings would give you timing advance in whole degrees. If you need tenths, then you would change the Scale Factor and Integer/Decimal:
Analog 1 Scale Factor: 250
Analog 1 Integer/Decimal: Decimal

Then you have to configure a dial, bar graph, data box to display this on.

EFIS analog inputs can be noisy. You can add digital filtering, but that will slow down the response. To adjust the filtering, go to SET MENU, Display Unit Maintenance, Analog Inputs, change the Analog Detail to "Raw data and filtering" and then adjust the "DF" setting for the analog input. DF1 means no digital filtering.

EIS Aux inputs are usually not too noisy as long as the grounds are good and there isn't some other electrical noise in the system.
VELOCITY-XLRG

Post by VELOCITY-XLRG »

Good Day Jeff,

I wired the outputs (per the diagrams) and as it relates to wiring to the HXr or the EIS AUX Inputs I chose to wire it from the L2e Dongle directly to the EIS (Pins 16 and 17) and not to the EFIS.

I see the instructions below were for the HXr instead of the EIS, however thought I was making progress but seem to be missing something (can you please see my photos below and let me know where I am going wrong)?

Since Pins 16 and 17 represent AUX6 and AUX5 respectively I started with AUX6 (I have not entered the AUX5 yet due to this and that is why you will see it is showing "none")

I then renamed to "LSE ADVANCE") and saved but did not see anything after saving and then got completely confused on setting the graphics bar or otherwise.

Hoping you can help,
IMG_4998.jpeg
IMG_4998.jpeg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 38300 times
IMG_5001.jpeg
IMG_5001.jpeg (4.08 MiB) Viewed 38300 times
Thanks,

Gary Ernest
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

You need to set the EIS1 Aux6 Scale Factor to 25 for the integer mode (no decimal place).

The EFIS doesn't automatically assign the input to any bar graphs or data boxes for you. You have to decide where and how you want to display the advance (dial, bar graph, data box) and then configure one of those to show your new "LS1 ADVANCE" input. The Graphical Engine Display settings page has settings for all of the dials, bar graphs (A1-A6, B1-B6, and combo inset), and data boxes (the main ones in the upper left are Box 1-8).