N8JL GRT HXr

Widget

N8JL GRT HXr

Post by Widget »

I just upgraded my panel from the GRT Sport SX to the 10.4 inch HXr. It was a relatively easy upgrade since I am using the Approach Faststack harnesses and hub. Installation included cutting the panel for the larger display, mounting the ADHRS, replacing the compass module since they are matched with the ADHRS, removing my ARINC box (it is included in the HXr display) and removing my altitude encoder.

I also have the GRT autopilot servos and the GRT EIS. These were both just change 2 wires each.

Once all the installation was done I had to configure all the serial ports and displays. I basically copied the information from my Sport setup into the HXr. A little time consuming but easy to do. Once all that was up and running it was test flight time. It took just a short while to iron all the bugs out and get used to the new screen layout and buttonology. It's a bit different but the same. I have flown it now for about 3 hours and am already very comfortable with it. It is a great setup and I'm going to be very comfortable flying IFR with this new setup.

Thanks to GRT for offering such a great user friendly and reliable product.

For redundancy I decided to keep my D10A and installed a D1 pocket panel which gives me 3 separate attitude, airspeed, and heading systems. This also gives me the opportunity to have a 2 out of 3 check if one of the systems fails. With the HXr and coupled autopilot system, the SL30's VOR/ILS capability, the certified GNC300XL GPS,the Trig TT31 transponder with the 1090ES for ADSb and a SKYRADAR D2 I have a great IFR platform.

Jerry "Widget" Morris
Smokey

Re: N8JL GRT HXr

Post by Smokey »

I can't believe you got that all put together so fast! Can't wait to see it this weekend.
Smokey
Ron Schreck
Gold Hill (NC25), NC
RV-8, Dual Horizon I HX & HS
Team AeroDynamix
Smokey

Miss Izzy's Panel

Post by Smokey »

This is a Horizon HS on top and a HX on the bottom. I kept the large round altimeter and airspeed indicator because they are my primary reference when doing aerobatics. It's much easier for me to notice the rate of change in altitude and airspeed on a round dial. I have had talks with GRT about adding an "aerobatic" page to the EFIS that would display only critical information used during aerobatics (altitude, TAS, "G"...) in a large format that would be very easy to read at a glance. Ben was very receptive and I hope he comes up with something great!

Smokey
Ron Schreck
Gold Hill (NC25), NC
Team AeroDynamix
Clam

Post by Clam »

Widget, did u mount the HXr flush or with a tilt? Curious on the view angle. Did u mount the EIS display hidden away somewhere? I am currently wiring a very similar RV-8 panel...HXr, D-10A, 300XL, PAR100EX, Trig trxpr.
Kinda stuck on wiring 300XL backup battery ...need about 6-7 high density sockets and I can only find them in high quantity lots!
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Widget

Post by Widget »

Jeff, I mounted it flush and to me it works great. I get no glare, I can see everything great and have never thought "I wish I had tilted it".

Good luck with it. I'm still learning all the features and still love it. I just got back from a 10 hour cross country and I really dug into the menus and found different ways to do things. Lots of data and ways to see it. Still learning the Flt Plan stuff.

The WX and traffic work great with my Skyradar and Trig. Can't display some of the WX items yet but Jeff's working on that. It gets better every software release.

I mounted the EIS down on the right side under the switch panel. I recessed it into the horizontal cover and angled it up where I can see it and get to it, but once I got it programmed I never touch it. I put all my warnings except oil pressure to OFF in the EIS and use the HXr to trigger the alerts and cautions. I get the Red warning light and they are indicated on the EFIS.
Jerry "Widget" Morris
billfear

Post by billfear »

Jerry, met you briefly at Sun n fun. I have a similar setup to you with the 300xl GPS, sl30 and a dual screen horizon system (also have a 696). Working on getting IFR competency back and am very curious about how you are doing your flight plans. I have been learning the 300 but it is a pain to use compared to the 696. Sounds like you are doing your flight plans in the GRT? Could you share a few words about your strategy and how you are actually planning and flying your ifr flight plans.

Thanks Bill
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Ron,

Why not put the HX on top so you can use the synthetic vision?

Bob
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Bobturner wrote:Ron,

Why not put the HX on top so you can use the synthetic vision?

Bob
Bob,

I often use the map page on the lower EFIS and the HX gives me a lot more map detail. Of course I can use the synthetic vision with the PFD screen on the lower EFIS but I find I almost never use synthetic vision as I rarely fly close to the ground in mountainous terrain, and if I do I'm looking out the window. With the screens both tilted up I get a great view of either screen anyway.

Ron
Smokey
Ron Schreck
Gold Hill (NC25), NC
Team AeroDynamix
Widget

Re: N8JL GRT HXr final update, for now

Post by Widget »

Well, I have my second MiniX installed and I'm thrilled with the redundancy I now have.

This panel is absolutely amazing to fly behind. It makes the 73's and 76's I used to fly look very antiquated..

Jerry "Widget" Morris