RAIM

APACHE 56

RAIM

Post by APACHE 56 »

I have dual Hx with RAIM option. I recently added a GTN 650 and see that there is a RAIM check in the menu. How do we do a RAIM check in our GRT systems?
thx,
Don
Bobturner

Re: RAIM

Post by Bobturner »

Since no one has answered, I will try.
Do you really mean RAIM? This is when the gps receiver uses extra satellites to derive extra position solutions. If they don't all agree then it issues a warning that something is wrong. RAIM is required for a TSO. But the gps units sold by GRT do not have TSO approval, they are not approved for IFR. I doubt that they do RAIM checks. Carlos?
Are you sure you didn't mean WAAS? GRT sells a WAAS and a non-WAAS GPS receiver. The WAAS signal provides ionospheric corrections and greatly improves accuracy. It also sends information about defective satellites so RAIM checks are only needed if you lose the WAAS signal. The RAIM check your receiver does is to let you know if there will not be enough extra satellites at some place and time to do a RAIM check. This would be true for all gps receivers, so one check is good for all. There is also an FAA web site that shows the same "no RAIM" predictions.
Bobturner

Re: RAIM

Post by Bobturner »

Okay, I looked at the GRT accessories page (it had been a while) and I see they do say one gps unit will do RAIM checks, although not ifr certified. So either use the FAA web site, or your Garmin, to do a "RAIM check". Remember that you are just looking at a prediction of whether or not sufficient satellites will be in view for RAIM to work. Wthout RAIM the gps may well still have enough satellites to give a position, perfectly okay for vfr.