WiFi Push of Waypoints from Flight Apps

bd4c

Re: WiFi Push of Waypoints from Flight Apps

Post by bd4c »

The irony is that if one is going IFR, then sending the flight plan from an iPad to a GTN625 would likely serve the same purpose, as then the plan is updated from the GTN to the MFD.
Correct?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Only the waypoint identifiers and positions are transferred. Other information like the type of turn or leg, procedure turns, holding patterns, altitude changes, and exact LP/LPV runway alignment is not transferred by the GTN. This is not a problem if you have a functioning GTN because the GTN takes care of all that for you. The approaches/procedures are for systems without a GTN or as a backup.
maniago

Post by maniago »

I dont know a lick about the difference between wifi and bluetooth, but can GPS be pushed over bluetooth to support an Ipad that doesnt have it but needs it ie for FlyQ EFB etc (or any other device for that matter)?

Along the same lines, can the HXr USB port pass GPS so I could kill two birds (ie GPS and IPAD charging) with one stone?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Most tablets (Apple and Android) won't accept GPS data except from approved devices, or the app has to be designed to use it. Apple has very strict requirements for Bluetooth so we would never be able to connect to them over Bluetooth. WiFi doesn't have a standard for GPS input, so that would be up to the app. We plan to work with FlyQ so they may read our GPS and other data over WiFi.

Our USB port does not send out any data and I don't know what, if anything, an iPad would accept. I assume we'd have the same problem as Bluetooth. Our internal power supplies are also not designed for USB charging. You would need a powered USB hub to do charging and data at the same time.
maniago

Post by maniago »

GRT_Jeff wrote:Most tablets (Apple and Android) won't accept GPS data except from approved devices, or the app has to be designed to use it. Apple has very strict requirements for Bluetooth so we would never be able to connect to them over Bluetooth. WiFi doesn't have a standard for GPS input, so that would be up to the app. We plan to work with FlyQ so they may read our GPS and other data over WiFi.

Our USB port does not send out any data and I don't know what, if anything, an iPad would accept. I assume we'd have the same problem as Bluetooth. Our internal power supplies are also not designed for USB charging. You would need a powered USB hub to do charging and data at the same time.
Ok thanks Jeff. +1 for the wifi hooks for FlyQ.
rv8ch

Post by rv8ch »

Any suggestions on the best way to get foreflight flight plans into my Sport EX?
Mickey Coggins
http://rv8.ch
"Hello, world!"