Qs: mini X vs GA, standard/optional features

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
rv7charlie

Qs: mini X vs GA, standard/optional features

Post by rv7charlie »

Hi,
I'm looking at a used mini GA that includes the remote magnetometer, but no remote air data module. I'm getting confusing/conflicting info from the GRT website product descriptions *and* the installation manuals, so I'm hoping someone here can help (GRT seems to be gone for the holidays).

1. For the GA, is adding air data as simple as purchasing/adding the optional $300 remote air data module, or is there additional 'activation' cost involved, as well?
2. Can AOA be included with the air data module for the GA, and at what extra cost? (I have a Dynon AOA pitot probe in the plane.)
3. Can OAT be added with the air data module, for true airspeed calcs? Has anyone 'rolled their own' temperature probe? (I have the very old Dynon OAT sensor for the original D10 in my plane.)
4. It appears that the GA comes standard with the map option; is that correct?

Thanks for any info you can offer,

Charlie
GRT_Jeff

Re: Qs: mini X vs GA, standard/optional features

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The Mini-GA is based on the AP and intended for certified planes that can't install a regular X/AP, but can install a display that can be easily removed from the plane. It's not possible to hook an uncertified EFIS into a certified air data system without special approval. That is why the GA doesn't have built-in air data, and why there aren't as many connections.

1. Yes, it's that simple, although the wiring is not as simple. The remote air data module connects through one of the regular serial port inputs. The GA only has 2 serial ports and the magnetometer uses one. You can wire it directly to the remaining port if you haven't used it for something else. Another way is to wire it in place of the magnetometer and wire the magnetometer through the air data module. For example, you could buy the module, wire the air data in place of the magnetometer (input only), then wire the magnetometer to the air data module (input only), configure the port input in the menu as "GRT Air Data Module", and then you have both air data and a magnetometer.

2. Yes, you can get a remote air data module with AOA. I don't see a specific price for the GA. For any other Mini it is an additional $250. We'll have to check on that when everyone gets back from the holidays.

3. We don't have an OAT input option for the GA. The air data module does not have a sensor input for this. Our plan is to provide an "OAT" button on the PFD page menu where you can dial in the temperature, but you would have to get the temperature from another instrument.

4. Yes, the GA includes the moving map.
rv7charlie

Re: Qs: mini X vs GA, standard/optional features

Post by rv7charlie »

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate the info! I've been out of town for Christmas, & just saw your reply. I'll give y'all a call after the holidays, and we can talk about adding air data to the GA.

Charlie