Stratux wired connection - I must be doing something wrong...

Bill_H

Stratux wired connection - I must be doing something wrong...

Post by Bill_H »

I have an HXR running the latest software.
I have a STRATUX with GPS (no ADHRS) and a wired serial output board. The STRATUX is also updated to the latest software version. It recognizes the serial output board. Set at 38400. The board is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Stratux-Serial-A ... B01N7RNFRJ
Note that this output board has output pins for the connecting wires, NOT a usb port for output. The USB port you see in the pic is plugged into the Stratux motherboard.
The Stratux seems to be is functioning fine. I have screenshots available of all the connection pages and all looks well.

The serial output board has pin connectors for Serial IN, out, and signal ground.
I read the info sheet that came with the serial out adapter. I also read this: https://grtavionics.com/media/StratuxSupplement.pdf
I took wires from those pin connectors. Stratux serial OUT to HXR port 7 serial IN. (at 38400 also)
Stratux serial IN connected to HXR port 7 serial OUT.
Srtatux OUT board Ground pin to the Stratux power ground.
I did not use a "serial to USB adapter cable" - because I could connect those Stratux serial OUT board wires directly into HXR serial port 7.
Now, per section 2.1 of StratuxSupplement.pdf, I configured HXR port 7 serial IN as ADS-B. That choice exists.

By just doing that, I get data counts into the HXR serial port 7 IN.
However, in the Set Menu > Display Unit Maintenance > ADS-B Status I get zero valid frames received. (multiple tries.)

Per "StratuxSupplement.pdf" I can't set the HXR port 7 serial OUT to "STRATUX" - the choice does not exist. "ADS-600B" exists but does not help.
So for now HXR port 7 serial OUT is set to "off."
Per "StratuxSupplement.pdf" I can't set "USB ADS-B" to ON because the HXR reports a conflict with Serial Port 7!

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, Bill H.
GRT_Jeff

Re: Stratux wired connection - I must be doing something wrong...

Post by GRT_Jeff »

What matters is that the baud rate matches and the EFIS input is set to "ADS-B". There's no EFIS "Stratux" output yet, that was put there as a future possibility. Just leave the output Off for now.

If your Stratux is powered by a battery (no system power), you may need a ground between it and the aircraft ground (EFIS ground).

The supplement says to turn on "USB ADS-B" but that is incorrect if you are using a serial port. Leave that Off.
Bill_H

Post by Bill_H »

That is exactly where I am now.
HXR 7 serial port IN - 38400 from STRATUX (matching baud) and it shows an increasing data count being received in the HXR.
USB ADSB is OFF.
HXR 7 serial port OUT is OFF.
Diagnostics page shows zero valid frames.
Stratux has no battery, wired to ships power through the step-down USB 12Vto5V socket adapter (a 2.1 amp one), but the Stratux signal GROUND is also connected to the ground return wire from the 12V ship's power.

I can email you the Stratux screens if that will help. They were showing traffic being received on the ground, and valid GPS position.

The zero-valid-frames is on the ground. Have not air tested yet. Wouldn't think that would make a difference...
Regards,
Bill
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I don't see anything unusual there. Are the switches on the Stratux serial adapter set correctly? Switch 1 should be On, Switch 2 should be Off, and the separate switch should be on the 232-TTL side. You should be using the 232T pin to connect to the EFIS, not the TXD pin.
Bill_H

Post by Bill_H »

That was it! As purchased i9t was set for the other type of serial output and was using the other wire connections, kind of per the sheet that came with the gadget.

Changed it all and - ADSB works and valid frames received!

Thanks.
Bill H.