IFR Databases

bd4c

IFR Databases

Post by bd4c »

I have my HXr Touch set up with a 175 driving it for IFR. I'm just now in the position to configure the system for IFR training.

The question is one of the databases. Do I need both the Seattle Aviation database (IFR) for the HXr and separately the Garmin 175 Nav update (I assume the 175 needs the procedures updates?), or just the Seattle updates for the HXr?
GRT_Jeff

Re: IFR Databases

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The procedures need to be updated in the Garmin 175. The Garmin 175 loads the approach, follows the procedures, then computes the deviations and sends the deviation data to the HXr. The HXr displays and follows the deviations and some basic waypoints but it doesn't know anything else about the approach from that data. This data doesn't provide any plates to look at.

If you want to display approach plates on the HXr, you'll need a Seattle Avionics ChartData update on the HXr. This is display-only information just for viewing. It doesn't tell the HXr or the 175 anything about how to fly the approach or load it into the flight plan.
bd4c

Post by bd4c »

Ok, so both basically. The 175 to know what to do, and the Seattle charts to display it on the HXr in a meaningful way. Is this correct?
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Having an up to date database in the 175 is a legal requirement for using it under ifr.
You are also required to have a copy of the procedure. Could be on the HXr, could be WingX on an iPad, could be printed on paper.