Setting digital magnetometer orientation

dalewilley

Setting digital magnetometer orientation

Post by dalewilley »

How long should the orientation process take to complete for a digital magnetometer? I'm 15 minutes into it currently with no changes to the "in progress" status.

Dale
RV-14 Build
GRT_Jeff

Re: Setting digital magnetometer orientation

Post by GRT_Jeff »

About 10 seconds. If it takes longer than 30 seconds then something is wrong with your magnetometer input. Go to AHRS Maintenance and look at the "Gyro Heading" line. If this line does not include the word "EMAG" then the AHRS is not receiving data from the magnetometer.
dalewilley

Post by dalewilley »

I'm still having issues with the magnetometer orientation. I also get errors for the serial ports connected to the AHRS 1 and AHRS 2 serial out on the HXr display so I wonder if both of these issues have something to do with baud rate or perhaps the magnetometer is bad (I bought it used). I have the serial ports currently set to 19,200. I've confirmed that there is 5V power to the magnetometer, continuity with the ground (mag pin 1) to pin 14 of the AHRS and continuity between the serial out (mag pin 9) to the mag serial in (AHRS pin 22).

When I attempt to orient the magnetometer on the AHRS Maintenance page it just says "in Progress" with no change nor do I see the EMAG on the gyro heading line.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Magnetometer issues would not cause AHRS serial communication issues. The AHRS are designed to function without a magnetometer, and will continue to work without interruption even if the magnetometer input is intermittent.

Mag pin 9 would connect to AHRS pin 8.

Mag pin 5 would connect to AHRS pin 22.

If those are correct and you don't see EMAG there may be something wrong with the magnetometer. It is a digital magnetometer, correct? You could check for voltage on the mag serial out (mag pin 9) while it's powered. If your meter can detect fast voltage changes it should report the voltage changing. It is an RS232 serial output so it will idle below -5 volts and jump to above +5 volts. There will be a pause right after power on, but after a few seconds of power it will be sending continuously.