Navworx 600 + GNS480 + HXR

maniago

Navworx 600 + GNS480 + HXR

Post by maniago »

My Navworx box works good with my 480 on 9600 baud, which is all the 480 can stand. I get only occasional traffic on the HXr traffic inset, sometimes a brief flurry of hits with N numbers on the map page, then they all disappear, and are blank for long stretches of time tho I have solid hits on the 480. I have the HXr on 9600 also, and have tried most all the other "box" settings but none make it work solidly.

Am I to assume that the HXr cant stand the 9600 baud, so I cant run both the 480 and the HXr simultaneously?

If so, then the HXr settings should be same as the HX ones...yes? (I havent done this yet; just getting around to working this squawk)

Settings:

Serial 7 @115200
Serial 7 In: ADSB
Serial 7 out: I'm not using, but if I did it would be ADS-600B......?

Navworx set to 115200.......and what "box" setting in the Navworx do I use?

Thanks for any help.
GRT_Jeff

Re: Navworx 600 + GNS480 + HXR

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The 480 is probably connected with the TIS-A Traffic output. This is an older, simpler Garmin traffic-only format that works fine at 9600 baud. It's limited to something like 8 targets and can't show call signs. It doesn't transfer weather. The EFIS can also receive this format when configured as GTX330, because that's the format the GTX330 used for traffic.

The full ADS-B traffic/weather output is called "Traffic Alert" or "Pass-through" and contains a ton more data and usually doesn't work well at 9600. The first ADS-B receivers were developed for 38400 baud, and the recommended rate is now 115200. We typically use Traffic Alert mode at 115200 with the NavWorx and other receivers.

I think you can have multiple Display outputs with both of these working but I'm not sure.

The HX and HXr settings would be the same. The EFIS "ADS-600B" output probably wouldn't be used. That was a sort of transponder interface if you didn't have any other transponder linked to the NavWorx and I think it let you change the Flight ID also. If it's not wired just set to to Off.
maniago

Post by maniago »

Ah great thanks Jeff. Yes I have 2 HXrs and a Mini-AP in the panel plus the 480 so lots of screens (clearly no traffic on the mini...). I do love the 12" HxRs!

Hopefully I can get to the hangar today to change/check the settings. Youre right; I havent been getting wx either, so that answers that qu.

I read that as surmised, I wont be able to get all thats there if I choose to run both the 480 and the HXr screens at 9600. Thats ok. I'll play with it.

As for the Traffic Alert/Pass thru, thats a Navworx setting, right? I dont remember it in the maint software, but I'll go look. And if using this, what "box" setting on the HXrs should I use to correspond to it? Copy 115200 baud.

Thanks again for the quick response!
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The ADS600 "EXP" model only has one display output. The "B" model has multiple outputs for "Display" and "TIS". If I recall correctly, the "B" model can be configured to send "TIS-A" data to the Garmin and "Traffic Alert" data to the EFIS at the same time, although the diagrams don't show that. For the "EXP" you would have to give up displaying traffic on the Garmin if you want to show full ADS-B data on the EFIS.

I don't know how you would be seeing N-numbers on the EFIS and traffic on the Garmin at the same time though. The "TIS-A" output doesn't include those. If you tried to use "Traffic Alert" at 9600 baud, then the Garmin wouldn't work and it probably wouldn't perform well on the EFIS. If you only have one output, you either have to use "TIS-A" at 9600 to get traffic on both the Garmin and EFIS, or use "Traffic Alert" at 115200 and only get traffic and weather on the EFIS.

The EFIS traffic and ADS-B weather input would be configured by the Serial Port Rate and Serial Port Input in General Setup. For the TIS-A interface you would use 9600 baud and "GTX330" input. For the "Traffic Alert" interface you would use 115200 baud and "ADS-B" or "ADS-B (GDL90 traffic/weather)" input (newer HXr software has the longer label). The "Traffic Alert" interface includes weather and other FIS-B data.
maniago

Post by maniago »

Thanks Jeff,

I have a -0013 Navworx and though it does have two display outputs, the #2 is the only one with TIS and if you hook it up, it kills both display outputs. I remember reading on line somewhere that thats a known issue - something that was never fixed and noone knew why they did that, just that it does for some. I tested it and I'm one of those some. So I only have #1 display output and TIS is not an option for that serial line. For the $150 I paid for the box, c'est la vie.

As for the 480, I've not seen N numbers on it (when I have seen those pop up onthe HXrs) so I dont believe the 480 has that capability, just the standard bogie info. With the screen being so small I think it'd be impossible to understand even it if did. Probably a good thing.

I checked my settings yesterday and discovered that I'm outputting AltEnc1 info to the Navworx from HXr#1 but on the same Serial7 as I input traffic to the 480/HXrs and thats set to 9600 because thats all the Navworx can handle for Altitude baud . I'm going to switch that to one of the other 9600 serial outputs I'm not using and then flip 7input to 115200/Traffic Alert and see what I get. Logically, I'm willing to forego the 480 traffic for the larger display/better info.

That said, and curiously, I had Disp#1 Navworx output set to Traffic Alert at 115200, and thats how I was getting traffic on the 480 consistently (it was listening at 9600), but only sporadically on the HxRs (also listening on Serial 7 at 9600). I have to play with it. Maybe I can still have both.

I'll report back. Thanks again!
maniago

Post by maniago »

Works good now as described above, targets with N numbers etc..... specifically, I'm picking AltEnc1 off Serial8 at 9600 for the Navworx, and Serial 7 input is at 115200, Traffic Alerts. Getting all the traffic on the HXrs now, and still getting it on the 480 which is listening on the Arinc lines. Id forgot that Id wired it that way. Makes a good back up.

Thanks again Jeff!