Stratux ADS-B Reeceiver

JimB

Re: Stratux ADS-B Reeceiver

Post by JimB »

Hi Jeff,

"The HS models need several ADS-B updates to get the number of towers, stable traffic for newer receivers, and changes to work better with the Stratux. We won't be able to complete those changes until some time after Oshkosh."

Any update on when this may happen?

Thanks

Jim Butcher
Sonex1517

Post by Sonex1517 »

I successfully completed integration of my Stratux to a GRT Mini in my Sonex experimental. I wanted to post specifics here in case anyone else tries this.

In the end, after several unsuccessful efforts using different RS-232 to USB adapters, GRT suggested I try a Trendnet TU-S9 USB to RS-232 adapter. It was $9.99 on Amazon. That worked.

The RS-232 adapter that Stratux sells on Amazon did not work - Stratux Serial Adapter (RS-232/TTL/RS-485) CP2102 - using that I continually got a status message on the Mini that said NO ADS-B DATA FROM SERIAL 2, even though I saw the input data counter incrementing on Serial In 2.

The USB adapter is in a port on the Stratux, and I wired up a data and ground connection to the Mini to Serial input 2. The baud rate is 38,400 (I will try 115,200 later) and I set Serial 2 as an ADS-B input on the Mini. I saw data packets on the ground, and in flight I immediately saw traffic alerts on the Map page. I used the Stratux image GRT has on their website - stratux-serialout_rp2.img

The GRT Mini is EFIS SW version 4.00 and it appears to have Option package 1 B84C-152A-111D-391B. (Just for reference)

GRT's tech support (Jeff) was awesome.

Thanks again for the help Jeff!!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Jabiru 3300 Generation 4 powered taildragger
N1517S
First flight 10/10/2015
http://www.sonexfoundation.com
MolsonB

Post by MolsonB »

The latest Stratux release has the serial output enabled, so you don't need the subliment version on grt website. (Docs could be updated now).

Maybe the latest release might work with their suggested usb cable. Id probably try the latest release as it contains updates and bug fixes. Are you running a GPS on the raspberry pi aswell?
Sonex1517

Post by Sonex1517 »

I am not currently running a GPS on the Pi - I have one, but only use the Stratux with the Mini right now, so I removed the GPS for now.

Since it works, I am leaving it as is for the moment and will try newer images later.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Jabiru 3300 Generation 4 powered taildragger
N1517S
First flight 10/10/2015
http://www.sonexfoundation.com
rv7charlie

Post by rv7charlie »

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but figured a 'one stop' Stratux thread might make sense.

I'm installing a new to me HX, and also a new to me, Stratux. What's the current preferred interface method? USB>serial (which one?)? WIFI>USB access point?

Is Howard4113's adapter still the best path?

Many thanks,

Charlie
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The same data gets to the EFIS in any case. You can use the latest Stratux software with the Trendnet TU-S9 USB-serial adapter. You will need my update script to make the official Stratux software work with it. If you have a serial input available on the EFIS that can be set to 115200 it makes sense to use that. If you don't have a serial input available, you can use another USB-serial adapter on the EFIS and use the "USB ADS-B" input. I don't have experience with the WiFi adapter but it has the benefit that you don't need to modify anything on the Stratux and it should work with anything that acts like a Stratux on WiFi.

The official Stratux image only recognizes a specific serial adapter. I've created update files for the Stratux that reconfigure it to recognize other adapters.

update-stratux-force-serialout.zip

Download the zip file and extract the update-stratux-tu-s9.sh file. The TU-S9 adapter uses a Prolific PL2303 chipset and this script configures every PL2303 as a serial output. That means there's a possible conflict. If you have a GPS connected to the Stratux, then some GPS models will stop working and conflict with the serial out because they also use a PL2303. This includes the BU-353-S4 GPS.

Connect a web browser to the Stratux and update it using the update-stratux-tu-s9.sh file, just like a regular Stratux update. When the unit is done loading the update and reboots a couple times, the serial out should start working and you can configure the baud rate using the browser. Increasing the baud rate to 115200 is recommended.
If you ever load an official Stratux update, it will restore the original serial out configuration and you will need to load this update again.
rv7charlie

Post by rv7charlie »

Thanks, Jeff. I've downloaded the zip file, and I'm also in the process of updating the Statux software to the current 2.x I have a few adapters, etc lying around; I may play with wifi adapters, etc just to see what might work. If I discover something new, I'll post it here.
farmrjohn

Post by farmrjohn »

Possibly off the wall question, but would it be possible to utilize the ethernet port to get the RS232 serial data? Something like https://tinyurl.com/y33znkyw
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

farmrjohn wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:16 am Possibly off the wall question, but would it be possible to utilize the ethernet port to get the RS232 serial data? Something like
No, that's just a connection adapter. RS232-Ethernet usually requires $100+ devices that don't have published protocols for our EFIS to use. Probably not worth the trouble. For our displays with Ethernet, it's only a matter of time until we get WiFi and then we can just connect over WiFi.
farmrjohn

Post by farmrjohn »

GRT_Jeff wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:38 am
farmrjohn wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:16 am Possibly off the wall question, but would it be possible to utilize the ethernet port to get the RS232 serial data? Something like
No, that's just a connection adapter. RS232-Ethernet usually requires $100+ devices that don't have published protocols for our EFIS to use. Probably not worth the trouble. For our displays with Ethernet, it's only a matter of time until we get WiFi and then we can just connect over WiFi.
Thanks. Looking forward to the WiFi capability then since I don't think I can get a fourth USB plugged into the Pi with the internal GPS module. What part of the calendar are we looking at-days, weeks, months, years ;) ?