HX and Trio Autopilot

Rmrrick

HX and Trio Autopilot

Post by Rmrrick »

In my RV7a I have a choice of using, via a switch, my Bendix King Skymap coupled directly to my Trio pro pilot or connecting my GRT GPS to the Trio via ARINC. No matter what settings of the gains I use the performance of the Trio is noticeably worse than directly from the Skymap. Any settings or tips for better stability and response?
Bobturner

Re: HX and Trio Autopilot

Post by Bobturner »

Sorry for the late reply. I have an HX-Trio Pro in an RV-10, so my settings are probably different. But the HX works very well controlling the Trio, and gives you true heading control, as well as VOR and ILS tracking if you have a navy radio.
In going between the GPS and HX for autopilot control, are you switching all 3 wires? Two ARINC plus the serial line.
johngoodman

Post by johngoodman »

Rmrrick wrote:In my RV7a I have a choice of using, via a switch, my Bendix King Skymap coupled directly to my Trio pro pilot or connecting my GRT GPS to the Trio via ARINC. No matter what settings of the gains I use the performance of the Trio is noticeably worse than directly from the Skymap. Any settings or tips for better stability and response?
I have the same issue, but with a GNS430W as the other source. The Trio works pretty good with the GNS430W, but is all over the place with the GRT HX.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

See my previous comment.
You must switch the A-B ARINC wires and the RS232 line between the 430 and the HX - 3 wires total.
You must set all the HX internal autopilot settings (gain, etc) to appropriate values. Try to figure out what's not right and adjust those particular values. As I recall a few needed significant changes from 100%.
Trio firmware must be newer than about Nov 2012.
Mine works great.

Edit. I think the Trio firmware needs to be Nov 2011 or later, not 2012.