Problem: Whenever the GRT HXr is driving the TruTrak Autopilot, my RV-10 wings rock with a period of approximately 4 seconds. It sickens passengers and is driving this builder/pilot a bit crazy.
- This problem occurs in all GRT AP modes; ENAV, GNAV, and Heading modes.
- It occurs independent of any AP settings in the GRT Setup menus (all have been tried)
The Problem does not occur when the TruTrak Autopilot is driven directly by G430w
> The ARINC connection to the Autopilot is switchable between the GRT and the G430w.
- When switched from GRT to G430w, there is momentary left/right heading adjustment and the wing rocking stops completely.
- When switched back from G430w to GRT, the wing rocking resumes.
- - Sometimes it takes 15 or 30 seconds before it reaches full amplitude.
- - Often the wing rocking starts immediately at full amplitude, 4 second period
> The serial connection to the TruTrak is not switchable but it has been rewired as a possible solution
- Originally, there was a serial connection between the G430w and the TruTrak AP
-- When the Trutrak was getting the ARINC from the GRT and the Serial from the G430 - we have wing rocking
- The serial wiring was changed to a connection between the GRT and the Trutrak AP
-- When the Trutrak was getting ARINC and Serial from the GRT - we have wing rocking
-- (When the Trutrak was getting ARINC from the G430w and Serial from the GRT - no wing rocking)
The Problem does not occur when the Trutrak Autopilot is used manually with no external inputs
Documentation of the problem:
- Earlier in this thread and others, videos and demo files have been shared that illustrate most or all of the modes described above
- If additional information is required, let me know.
- At this point I think I've exhausted my testing and data collection options.
I've been flying this configuration for 9 years and 1100 hours. While I don't recall having this problem originally I cannot document that fact so I can only say this problem has existed for at least several years.
The problem existed with the (3) HX systems I originally bought and with the newer HXr I recently bought.
Presumably this is not a problem with the new GRT AP connected to the HXr, but this was not an option when I purchased or installed my gear.
Last edited by BillinDurham
on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8NC8 Durham, NC
RV10 HX, G430w, NavWorx, EIS